Location(s): WI - Menomonie
Are you fit and ready to work hard at a challenging but rewarding job that doesn’t require you to sit behind a desk all day? Do you want to build a long-term career in a stable industry at a company that’s committed to treating you with respect, training you well and ensuring your safety? A field or skilled labor job at Xcel Energy could be the opportunity you’re looking for.
***NOTE: This position requires an assessment prior to interview consideration. We ask you to please carefully read the instructions below
We anticipate the need of one or more Advanced Step Apprentice/Journeyman Service Technician(s) to be located at our Menomonie, Wisconsin location. Candidate skills and qualifications will be evaluated and, in conformity to union contract, appropriate step placement will be offered to a successful candidate.
In this position, you will need to be self-motivated, work well on a team and have a positive attitude. A strong commitment to work safely, provide quality customer service, create customer satisfaction and to work productively will be very important to your success. When qualified, you will be placed on an on-call roster for emergency call-outs.
- Locating gas lines and underground electric cable
- Disconnecting and reconnecting gas and electric meters for stop and start service and credit and collections
- Performing meter changes for single phase electric and gas periodic meters
- Performing gas leak and public building surveys
- Responding to gas emergencies and odor calls
- Work with gas construction crew to install or perform maintenance on gas distribution system
- High school graduate or equivalent
- Additional training in natural gas, electricity or related fields is required
- Experience locating gas and electric underground facilities is required
- Must be committed to working safely and compliance with all company safety rules
- Must have good communication and teamwork skills
- Must reside within 20 mile radius of assigned service center within the first 6 months of hire
- Must meet driver qualification requirements as specified in FMCSR parts 382 and 391 and obtain a valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Class A
- This position is subject to D.O.T. random drug and alcohol testing program
- Must be willing and able to respond to after-hour emergency call-outs
- Experience with installation or maintenance of gas distribution systems
- Direct customer contact experience
Steps in Xcel Energy’s hiring process
- All qualified candidates will be sent an online assessment via e-mail. Applicants must successfully pass in order to be further considered.
- Candidates who successfully pass the assessment will be contacted to come in for an information session and interview.
- After attending our information session/interview, our Team Leaders will collaborate to decide which candidates are best qualified and offers will be made.
- Candidates who accept the employment offer will be required to pass Xcel Energy’s background check and drug test. This process can take up to two weeks before clearance is issued.
- After successful passing of the background check and drug test, candidates are ready to start the training class.
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you’re ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Posting Notes: WI - Menomonie || WI - Menomonie || United States (US) || Operations || 53225:Gas Const ME/DR/RL WI || Full-Time || Bargaining ||
Requisition Number: 17671
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at [email protected]