Location(s): WI - La Crosse
Are you fit and ready to work hard at a challenging but rewarding job that doesn’t require you to sit behind a desk all day? Do you want to build a long-term career in a stable industry at a company that’s committed to treating you with respect, training you well and ensuring your safety? A field or skilled labor job at Xcel Energy could be the opportunity you’re looking for.
***NOTE: This position requires an assessment prior to interview consideration. We ask you to please carefully read the instructions below
We anticipate the need for one or more Apprentice Plant Attendant (s) to be located at the French Island Plant in La Crosse, Wisconsin.
Please verify that your education and/or experience meets the minimum requirements listed below. Please do not apply if you do not possess the requirements.
Assists in the operation, maintenance and inspection of boilers, turbine generators and auxiliary equipment. Also work in plant's resource recovery facility "RDF Plant" throughout apprenticeship and Journeyman Status. Must be able to work in confined spaces under varying climatic conditions, including working at high heights from scaffoldings and floor gratings. Follow written plant operating procedures, and, as appropriate, assist in the preparation and document records as required by management. Required, through training, to be thoroughly familiar with plant operating procedures and equipment, including pollution control equipment, and be capable of making sound decisions in any plant emergency.
1) High School Diploma or GED.
2) Additional technical training and/or experience with boiler, steam turbine and overall power plant operation is desired.
3) Experience working with mechanical equipment, machinery and heavy equipment.
4) Must have the ability to intelligently communicate constructively with plant personnel both verbally and in writing.
5) Must be able to work with minimal supervisor, have strong leadership and teamwork skills.
6) Must be customer focused, have good organizational and problem solving skills.
1) Must agree to rotating shifts
2) Must pass physical and pulmonary function test and must abide by respirator policy.
3) Callouts, and overtime including weekends and holidays is required.
4) Must successfully pass the EEI Plant Personnel Test
5) Must complete the "Power Plant Fundamental" course sponsored by Xcel Academy during this apprenticeship and the employee is subject to all provisions of the Apprenticeship Training program as agreed by Company and local Union.
6) Relocation to immediate area of LaCrosse WI will be employee's responsibility.
7) A high awareness of safety and compliance with company safety rules is required at all times.
Selection criteria may include testing and/or assessment.
Steps in Xcel Energy’s hiring process
- All qualified candidates will be sent an online assessment via e-mail. Applicants must successfully pass in order to be further considered.
- Candidates who successfully pass the assessment will be contacted to come in for an information session and interview.
- After attending our information session/interview, our Team Leaders will collaborate to decide which candidates are best qualified and offers will be made.
- Candidates who accept the employment offer will be required to pass Xcel Energy’s background check and drug test. This process can take up to two weeks before clearance is issued.
- After successful passing of the background check and drug test, candidates are ready to start the training class.
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you’re ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Posting Notes: WI - La Crosse || WI - La Crosse || United States (US) || Operations || 62122:French Island || Full-Time || Bargaining ||
Requisition Number: 15561
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at [email protected]