Location(s): MN - Becker
Are you fit and ready to work hard at a challenging but rewarding job that doesn’t require you to sit behind a desk all day? Do you want to build a long-term career in a stable industry at a company that’s committed to treating you with respect, training you well and ensuring your safety? A field or skilled labor job at Xcel Energy could be the opportunity you’re looking for.
***NOTE: This position requires an assessment prior to interview consideration. We ask you to please carefully read the instructions below
We anticipate the need for one or more Apprentice Plant Attendant(s) for Units 1, 2, and/or 3 at the Sherburne County Generating Plant, located in Becker, Minnesota. Normal working hours for this position are rotating shift, to include, weekends, holidays, days and nights.
Assists in the operation, maintenance, and inspection of boilers, turbine generators, air quality control, and auxiliary equipment. Must possess the applicable Minnesota State Boiler's License. A Special boiler license is required within forty-five (45) days of being assigned to the apprenticeship, a Second Class Grade "A" License after (1) year of operating experience and First Class Grade "A” License will be required after three (3) years of operating experience. Must have a reasonable level of learning ability to develop understanding of generating plant operations and procedures. 3. Must have the ability to intelligently communicate constructively with plant personnel both verbally and in writing.
1. Must pass the Edison Electric Institute POSS/MASS EEI Test
2. Must possess the applicable Minnesota State Boiler's License. A Minnesota Engineer Special boiler license is required within forty-five (45) days of being assigned to the apprenticeship, a Minnesota Engineer 2nd Class Grade “A” License Boiler license after 1 year of experience and a Minnesota Engineer 1st Class Grade “A” after 3 years of experience.
3. Must have a reasonable level of learning ability to develop an understanding of steam plant operations and procedures.
4. Must have the ability to intelligently communicate constructively with plant personnel, both verbally and in writing.
5. Must complete the "Power Plant Fundamentals" course sponsored by the Power Production Department during this apprenticeship, and the employee is subject to all provisions of the Apprenticeship Training program as agreed upon between the company and local union.
6. Must be able to work a rotating shift, to include weekends and holidays
7. Must be willing to accept overtime as needed
8. Will be required to successfully complete regular training as part of the apprenticeship and continuing training thereafter
9. Will be required to function under written plant operating and maintenance procedures as appropriate, assist in their preparation and document records as required by management.
10. Will be required to perform duties of work when necessary from scaffolding and catwalks in high and confined areas.
11. Will be required through training to be thoroughly familiar with plant operating procedures and equipment including pollution control equipment and be capable to make sound decisions in any plant emergency situation.
12. Will be required to accept temporary assignments at other plants as prescribed by plant management.
13. Must be able to lift 50 pounds safely.
Education in Power Plant Technologies or Previous Power Plant experience
Steps in Xcel Energy’s hiring process
- All qualified candidates will be sent an online assessment via e-mail. Applicants must successfully pass in order to be further considered.
- Candidates who successfully pass the assessment will be contacted to come in for an information session and interview.
- After attending our information session/interview, our Team Leaders will collaborate to decide which candidates are best qualified and offers will be made.
- Candidates who accept the employment offer will be required to pass Xcel Energy’s background check and drug test. This process can take up to two weeks before clearance is issued.
- After successful passing of the background check and drug test, candidates are ready to start the training class.
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you’re ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Posting Notes: MN - Becker || MN - Becker || United States (US) || Operations || 0477P:Operations-1 & 2 || Full-Time || Bargaining ||
Requisition Number: 18030
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at [email protected]