Location(s): CO - Golden
Do you want to put your skills and experience to good use supporting one of the fastest-growing parts of the energy business? Are you interested in being a key part of the utility industry’s new, competitive landscape? If you’re interested in working for a trustworthy company that’s committed to treating you with respect, training you well and ensuring your safety, consider a position on Xcel Energy’s transmission team.
The Balancing Authority Operator position is responsible for the real-time monitoring and operation of Xcel Energy’s Balancing Authority Area/Local Balancing Authority Area. Monitor the Xcel Balancing Authority Area and take independent actions to ensure the security and reliability is consistent with NERC and RRO requirements. Ensure the accuracy of Energy Management System data relating to Balancing Authority Area interchange, load, and generation; and Transmission service schedules; and interconnected tie lines. The Balancing Authority Operator has the independent authority to perform necessary actions to maintain reliability, including emergency generation replacement, unscheduled load relief, firm load shedding, and black-start recovery.
- Monitor the Xcel Balancing Authority Area and take necessary steps to ensure the security and reliability of the Balancing Authority Area consistent with NERC requirements. Ensure Xcel Energy Balancing Authority Area operation parameters are within internal operating guidelines, NERC and RRO standards, and when applicable, RTO guidelines. Ensure adequate energy supply for the Xcel Energy Balancing Authority Area by managing spinning and operating reserves, balancing generation to load, planning to meet load forecasts, and through generation commitments. Take appropriate steps to ensure replacement of lost resources due to generation unit trips.
- Ensure the accuracy of Energy Management System data relating to Balancing Authority Area interchange, load, and generation; and Transmission service schedules; and interconnected tie lines. Implement Xcel Energy Balancing Authority Area and Transmission Provider energy tagging function. Implement Xcel Energy Balancing Authority Area scheduling system and provide appropriate interface with the RTO when required. Perform nightly checkout with the adjacent Balancing Authority Area for Actual and Scheduled Interchange, as well as with the RTO as appropriate. Perform nightly checkout for transmission Energy Accounting.
- Implement Emergency Procedures including, but not limited to, emergency generation replacement, unscheduled flow relief, emergency firm load shedding and black-start recovery. Order Balancing Authority Area generation on-line or order re-dispatch as necessary to maintain Balancing Authority Area security. Work with Network or other customers to ensure proper implementation of peak day interruptible loads. Work with the Transmission System Operator and Xcel Energy generating plants in system restoration.
- Maintain close communications with Generator Operators to ensure safety, reliability and regulatory compliance with respect to transmission operations. Jointly develop, review and approve plans to return the Balancing Authority Area to recognized system parameters.
- Monitor transmission system conditions using available tools, such as the Energy Management System, Energy Accounting System, and other data systems. Communicate system status to the Reliability Coordinator, affected electric transmission systems and Balancing Authority Areas, and Xcel Energy management. Work with network customers to ensure generation and scheduling needs are met. Write and maintain a chronological log of Balancing Authority Area events including, but not limited to, transmission service curtailments and requests for emergency energy.
- Monitor proper tagging of OASIS transmission service requests for Xcel Energy and all other relevant tariffs. Back-up the Transmission System Operator and the Network Reliability Leader (NRL) relating to transmission service requests and help resolve transmission service request problems.
- Maintain thorough knowledge and understanding of Balancing Authority Area operation, including but not limited to new operating practices, NERC compliance issues, Xcel Energy and regional tariffs, FERC, RRO and RTO requirements. Participate in annual training plans designed to enhance expertise and assist other team members in expanding overall knowledge. Maintain NERC Certification through completion of required training is a condition of continued employment. Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Successful completion of certificate program in Electric Power Technology or equivalent program preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years utility operations experience in electric distribution, transmission or power generation OR 3 years experience working with high-voltage auxiliary electrical systems, instrumentation & control or relay systems in manufacturing, refinery or chemical plant environment.
- Successful completion of Edison Electric Institute (EEI) System Operator / Power Dispatching (SOPD) screening test is required.
- NERC certification required or ability to successfully obtain the NERC Certification that is applicable for Balancing Authority Area operation within 6 months of position start date
- Demonstrated ability to successfully complete the initial qualifications as defined in the training program for the Balancing Authority Operator position.
- Demonstrated ability to respond quickly and appropriately in a real-time, stressful environment.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize job tasks. Strong communication skills required.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn Xcel Energy, NERC, and FERC requirements.
- This position requires working rotating shifts.
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you’re ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Posting Notes: CO - Golden || CO - Golden || United States (US) || Operations || 31520:Transmission Operations North || Full-Time || Non-Bargaining ||
Requisition Number: 16373
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at [email protected]