Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
The Principal Engineer, Civil TBT and PATH Infrastructure will be responsible for directing/supervising professional technical staff in the preparation and delivery of the Engineering Department's workload in support of the Agency's TBT and PATH capital projects and major work programs. The successful candidate will apply their experience of civil infrastructure (rail, pavements, utilities, and stormwater management), including knowledge of AREMA, AASHTO and similar standards or guidelines to develop recommendations.
Responsibilities also include but are not limited to:
* Provide expert engineering advice and develop recommendations to PATH and the TBT Department and facilities (e.g. George Washington Bridge) related to civil infrastructure (rail, pavements, airfield design elements, utilities, and stormwater management)
* On annual basis, formulate and update the Agency's seven-year paving major works program for maintaining pavements in a state of good repair and in a condition that is safe to vehicular traffic. Review of the annual Pavement Management Condition Reports as well as supplemental visual inspections is required to formulate and update the seven-year paving major works program
* Delegate responsibility and provide effective guidance and direction to professional technical staff (up to 10 direct reports) in design approach, including engineering analysis, and delivery of work products in accordance with the Engineering Department's Quality Control Program and the Agency's project delivery process (i.e. Stages I to IV)
* Evaluate and provide objective employee performance feedback via the Agency's Recognizing and Managing Performance (RaMP) process
* Train/mentor and develop technical staff in civil aviation infrastructure
* Perform site inspections of civil aviation infrastructure
* Perform Quality Assurance/Quality Control checking of conceptual and engineering studies, designs and contract documents completed by technical staff
* Manage resource requirements (i.e. decide whether task/project assignments are performed in-house staff or via use of call-in consultants) for present and planned workload
* Review/audit consultant proposals and engineering reports, studies and contract documents for aviation construction projects
* Assist the Chief Civil Engineer's office with tasks related to administrative activities and requests
JOB REQUIREMENTS: Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
* Bachelors Degree in Civil Engineering from an ABET accredited engineering college or university.
* Must be Licensed Professional Engineer in the State of New York or State of New Jersey.
* Experience supervising at least three (3) professional technical staff engaged in all phases of civil engineering design, including staff training and implementing staff motivation.
* Experience in engineering small to complex civil infrastructure design projects (projects with $5 million or more in construction contract value).
* Minimum of 10 years professional engineering experience in design and maintenance/rehabilitation strategies for civil infrastructure (rail, pavements, utilities, geometrical design, and stormwater management).
* Knowledge of AREMA and AASHTO.
* Possess valid driver's license.
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
* Masters degree in Civil Engineering from an ABET accredited engineering college or university.
* Demonstrated experience in problem solving, negotiations and conflict resolution skills to effectively reach sound conclusions and recommendations.
* Proven ability to lead, manage, and prioritize multiple assignments with multiple disciplines.
* Ability to demonstrate strong conceptualization, problem solving, and decision-making skills from experience in directing, and managing both routine and complex aviation programs and projects.
* Excellent organizational skills with the ability to work independently and prioritize as required.
* Proficiency in preparing contract documents; drawings and technical specifications.
* Excellent oral, including experience in making presentations, and written communication skills commensurate with the supervisory responsibilities of the position.
* Working knowledge of Civil 3D design software.
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this position, please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar: