ForeLight is a venture-backed, early stage ingredient and technology company seeking a Controls Engineer to join its team. ForeLight is deploying a groundbreaking biomass manufacturing platform to transform food ingredients, improve human health and mitigate climate change.
The Controls Engineer will assist in the ongoing development and scaling of ForeLight’s cutting edge biomass production system within a steady-state production environment. Responsibilities will focus on optimizing systems, especially lighting and controls related to ForeLight’s biomass production and processing platform. The ideal candidate will have strong cross-disciplinary capabilities and interests, as well as the energy and aptitude for a high growth, collaborative and innovative business culture.
The position is based in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Develop, design, build and operate lighting systems including power supply, instrumentation and control systems
- Provide engineering guidance regarding supporting and enabling design concepts and technologies
- Ensure processes and procedures are in compliance with applicable regulations
- Evaluate, design and select the electrical, mechanical, thermal and optical components to optimize platform performance
- Design manufacturing processes and production layouts for core manufacturing platform, and adapt these to factory production conditions.
Position requires strong documentation and communication skills and ability to work in a highly collaborative and rapid prototyping environment.
- Knowledge and understanding of: LEDs, electrical power supply and drive circuitry, thermodynamics, optics, and general knowledge of solid-state lighting components
- BS/MS or equivalent experience in Control and/or Electrical Engineering
- Proven experience with modern computational design and engineering tools and software
- General hands-on proficiency with computers, electronic test instruments, lab and shop tools related to prototype building and testing.
- Experience in applying Good Automated Manufacturing Practices (GAMP-5) to machine design a plus
- A drive for design simplicity, repeatability and commercial viability