Location(s): TX - Amarillo
Are you fit and ready to work hard at a challenging but rewarding job that doesn’t require you to sit behind a desk all day? Do you want to build a long-term career in a stable industry at a company that’s committed to treating you with respect, training you well and ensuring your safety? A field or skilled labor job at Xcel Energy could be the opportunity you’re looking for.
***NOTE: This position requires an assessment prior to interview consideration. We ask you to please carefully read the instructions below
We are looking for an experienced candidate to join our line crew in Amarillo, TX, and perform the duties of the Journeyman Lineman classification involving overhead and underground electric distribution and transmission systems.
1. The successful candidate must have the physical ability, endurance, and desire to perform potentially strenuous outdoor work, at all times of the day and night, and under various weather conditions.
2. The successful applicant will be expected to respond to emergency callouts after normal work hours and on weekends.
3. The successful applicant must live within 20 miles of the assigned Service Center throughout their employment in the Line Department.
4. The successful candidate must be able to perform safe, proficient, and effective pole-climbing.
5. Applicants must be self-motivated, work well with others, have a positive attitude and be committed to working safely and productively.
Qualified applicants must have a High School diploma or equivalent and meet all of the following criteria:
-Must have Class A CDL driver's license.
-All applicants must have completed a qualified apprenticeship program, and possess a Journeyman Lineman certification.
-Must have a well-rounded knowledge of distribution primary feeder circuits, transformer loading and connections, and fusing practices.
-Must be experienced in live-line work on energized conductors and equipment up to voltages of 34.5 KV.
-Should have experience with electric meter sets and their connections.
-Must have knowledge and experience in the use of hot line tools, protective devices, fuses, lightning arresters, disconnect switches, breakers, grounding sets, transformers and their connections.
-Must be experienced in operation of Line Construction and Maintenance vehicles including, but not limited to, fork lifts, digger-derricks, platform digger units, wire and rope tensioning units, and other similar equipment.
-Must demonstrate a knowledge and experience in electric Distribution system trouble-shooting.
-Must be thoroughly familiar with the Safety Rules and regulations of the Company and must be well acquainted with the hazards involved in electric Distribution field service work.
-Must be familiar with use of rubber gloves, sleeves, line hose, switching procedures, as well as in the use of PPE in accordance with Company and OSHA requirements.
Once employed, Xcel Energy maintains the right to send successful applicants to Company-Sponsored Apprentice Schools, as deemed necessary. For External and Non-Xcel Energy Journeymen candidates, verification of Journeyman Lineman qualifications and knowledge will include testing and/or practical skills evaluation within the first 90 days of employment. Failure to successfully pass the testing and/or skills evaluation will result in Termination or Demotion.
Steps in Xcel Energy’s hiring process
- All qualified candidates will be sent an online assessment via e-mail. Applicants must successfully pass in order to be further considered.
- Candidates who successfully pass the assessment will be contacted to come in for an information session and interview.
- After attending our information session/interview, our Team Leaders will collaborate to decide which candidates are best qualified and offers will be made.
- Candidates who accept the employment offer will be required to pass Xcel Energy’s background check and drug test. This process can take up to two weeks before clearance is issued.
- After successful passing of the background check and drug test, candidates are ready to start the training class.
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you’re ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Posting Notes: TX - Amarillo || TX - Amarillo || United States (US) || Operations || 13550:Amarillo NE Elec Con SPS || Full-Time || Bargaining ||
Requisition Number: 19397
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at [email protected]