Are you looking for an exciting job where you can put your skills, talents and education to work at a company you can
feel proud to be a part of? Do you want a workplace that will challenge you and offer you opportunities to learn and
grow? A professional position at Xcel Energy could be just what you’re looking for. Xcel Energy is standing on the
threshold of an energy evolution. Be a part of Advanced Grid Intelligence and Security (AGIS) - a long-term strategic
initiative to transform the electrical distribution business to enhance security, efficiency and reliability, to safely
integrate more distributed resources, and to enable improved customer products and services. This position will have
responsibility to define, conduct, and document requirements and qualification testing of AMI (Advanced Metering
Infrastructure) devices for the Company’s evaluation program, develop meter configurations to meet requirements of
the customer, tariffs, and other AGIS initiatives, train internal metering personnel on new AMI system and processes,
participate in the cross-organizational development and documentation of business processes and technical
requirements for business applications and other AGIS initiatives resulting from implementation of AMI. This
position are available in either Minneapolis. This position is posted as a hierarchy; requirements for all
levels are included below. Successful candidate will be placed at a level commensurate with their skills/abilities as
well as the needs of the business.
This is an entry level position designed to develop technical expertise in a particular area of specialty. Performs work that involves conventional types of plans, investigations, surveys, structures or equipment with relatively few complex features for which there are precedents. Activities are of limited scope requiring knowledge of principles and techniques commonly employed in the specific narrow area of assignments. May lead small-medium, non-critical projects and/or provide field oversight of critical projects under direction of higher level engineer or supervisor. Work is reviewed for soundness of technical judgment, overall adequacy and accuracy. As proficiency is gained, may work on portions of larger projects. Works under supervision and follows established procedures. May supervise or coordinate the work of interns, drafters, craft personnel, technicians and/or others.
- Uses and applies technical standards, principles, theories, concepts, and techniques to perform activities/assignments of limited scope.
- Supports the development of technical documentation (including but not limited to designs, testing, calculations, reports, standards, etc.) Utilizes and may assist with the development of procedures.
- Provides ongoing technical support for project activities within areas such as Operations, Maintenance, Testing/diagnostics, Regulatory, etc. May provide field engineering oversight for activities such as commissioning, testing, inspections etc. under direct supervision.
- Coordinates/leads projects or portions of projects (including phases such as research, design, equipment selection, procurement support, installation and commissioning), under the direction of a higher level engineer or supervisor.
- Under the direction of a higher level engineer/supervisor, supports bid/evaluation processes by performing basic analysis and calculations on existing documentation and materials that support the preparation of bid documents. In completing segments of technical evaluations for proposals may need to effectively communicate with other business areas of the company following appropriate processes.
- Effectively exchanges information in all formats, on matters having a wide range of importance and complexity both inter-organizationally and with outside customer/vendors.
- May coordinate the work of interns, drafters, technicians, and/or others and provides guidance and mentoring to less experienced engineers. Responsible for continuous self development of technical skills and competencies.
- May perform activities such as budgeting, estimating, forecasting, accounting, work order management, in support of engineering projects.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering from ABET accredited curriculum (or recognized equivalency)
- 0+ years relevant engineering experience
- Ability to demonstrate the unique technical skills and core competencies for this engineering level established & documented by the organization
Required (Staff Engineer)
• Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering from ABET accredited curriculum (or recognized equivalency)
• 2+year’s relevant engineering experience.
• Demonstrated broad knowledge & proficiency in specialty area, knowledge of related specialties, & general knowledge of other related disciplines.
• Ability to demonstrate the unique technical skills & core competencies for this engineering level established & documented by the organization.
• EIT/FE (Engineer in Training/Fundamentals of Engineering) preferred
Required (Senior Engineer)
• EE Bachelor’s degree from ABET accredited curriculum (or recognized equivalency)
• 5+ years relevant engineering experience
• Ability to demonstrate the unique technical skills and core competencies for this engineering level established & documented by the organization.
• EIT/FE (Engineer in Training/Fundamentals of Engineering) required
• PE (Professional Engineer) License may be required based on business need
- EIT/FE (Engineer in Training/Fundamentals of Engineering) preferred