Location(s): TX - Amarillo
Do you want to have an essential role supporting the energy infrastructure that provides power to millions of homes and businesses? Do you want to work for a company that is committed to excellence, safety and environmental stewardship? Consider a job at one of Xcel Energy’s power plants, and help us keep the lights on.
Responsible for test equipment installation at all power generating facilities. Responsible for ensuring all test equipment is in proper working order, which includes repairing, calibrating and replacing equipment. Maintains audit-ready comprehensive calibrations and maintenance records on all test equipment. Ensures all test equipment will meet quality standards established by the utility industry’s power test codes, EPA and Xcel Energy test protocols.
- Technicians performing emissions monitoring and testing must complete the work in strict accordance with EPA and regional state enforcement agency regulations. Techs responsible for emissions testing will compile or compose Environmental Test protocols for regulatory agency and determine the appropriate test methods to be utilized. After the test, prepares corresponding emissions reports.
- Coordinates or installs test instrumentation and equipment at power generating facilities. Coordinates with plant management to schedule test instrumentation installation prior to performing a test. Equipment installation must be conducted in a manner that does not cause any interruptions to plant operations or employee injuries. All test equipment installations must be done in accordance with applicable industry related test codes (ASME, PTC, CTI, EPA - CFR Part 60, etc.).
- During tests, will assist by collecting data and monitoring equipment to ensure that the quality of data is meeting department standards and code requirements. Performs system instrumentation start-up, including the establishment of Digital Control System (DCS) communication links. Troubleshoots and resolves field instrumentation problems such as loss of communications. Also verifies incoming data accuracy and quality.
- Maintains, calibrates and replaces test equipment. Test equipment calibration techniques must meet industry standards. Also, the data collected with this equipment must be defendable in any regulatory audits or Public Utility Commission reviews.
- Works with the department engineers to complete capacity and thermal performance tests on Independent Power Producing Facilities (IPPF) that are under contract to supply power to Xcel Energy. Assists with special tests or analyses, such as MATS testing, Boiler MACT testing, acceptance testing and other plant equipment testing. Properly installs the test equipment at these facilities and demonstrates a good understanding of all plant equipment and components associated with the facility in order to effectively and safely do the work.
- Assists with boiler performance testing and tuning activities, which include coal fineness, coal mill balance, boiler temperature measurement (HVT), oxygen balancing, NOx level measurements and other related tests. Demonstrates basic understanding of boiler performance testing procedures and associated combustion products.
This position requires an Associate degree in a technical field from an accredited college or two (2) years of industry experience. Technicians performing emission tests are required to have a Qualified Source Testing Individual (QSTI) certification (preferred) or must obtain QSTI certification within the first eighteen (18) months of employment.
In addition to the above, a person in this position must meet the following requirements:
- Has a working knowledge of industrial processes and safe installation of test equipment.
- Has a working knowledge of applicable performance/emission test codes, safety procedures, test equipment, and a variety of systems at power plants.
- Has the ability to work effectively and safely with fluids that are at high pressures and temperatures and with high electrical voltages.
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you’re ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Posting Notes: TX - Amarillo || TX - Amarillo || United States (US) || Operations || 31224:Emissions Testing SPS || Full-Time || Non-Bargaining ||
Requisition Number: 15223
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at [email protected]