Location(s): MN - St Paul
Are you an engineer who wants a challenging, rewarding career at a Fortune 500 company that’s committed to excellence, safety and environmental stewardship? Do you want to be part of shaping our energy future? An engineering position at Xcel Energy could be a great match for you.
This position will support PHMSA Part 192 regulatory compliance activities associated with Gas Transmission Integrity Management. Under general direction, demonstrates complete understanding & wide application of engineering technical principle, theories, & concepts in the field. Independently determines & develops approaches to solutions. Receives technical guidance on complex problems; completed work reviewed for adequacy in meeting objectives. May lead small-medium non-critical projects or critical projects under direction of higher level engineer/supervisor. May provide work direction to other professionals &/or staff. Represents the organization in providing solutions to difficult technical issues associated with specific projects. Frequent inter-organizational & outside customer contact. Demonstrates a broad knowledge & proficiency of precedents in the specialty area, a good knowledge of related specialties, & general knowledge of other related disciplines. Responsible for evaluating risk and threats to the Xcel Energy Gas Transmission System as well as executing integrity assessments and preventive and mitigation measures to reduce public risk, system risk, and financial risk to the company. Experience in PHMSA Part 192 regulations and gas Integrity Management is preferred but not required. The below job description reflects the duties of the Engineer; additional duties and responsibilities may be required at higher levels within the engineering hierarchy (Engineer or Staff.) The successful candidate will be placed at a level that is commensurate with the candidate's skills and experience.
- Uses and applies technical standards, principles, theories, concepts, and techniques to perform activities/assignments of limited scope.
- Supports the development of technical documentation (including but not limited to designs, testing, calculations, reports, standards, etc.) Utilizes and may assist with the development of procedures.
- Provides ongoing technical support for project activities within areas such as Operations, Maintenance, Testing/diagnostics, Regulatory, etc. May provide field engineering oversight for activities such as commissioning, testing, inspections etc. under direct supervision.
- Coordinates/leads projects or portions of projects (including phases such as research, design, equipment selection, procurement support, installation and commissioning), under the direction of a higher level engineer or supervisor.
- Under the direction of a higher level engineer/supervisor, supports bid/evaluation processes by performing basic analysis and calculations on existing documentation and materials that support the preparation of bid documents. In completing segments of technical evaluations for proposals may need to effectively communicate with other business areas of the company following appropriate processes
- Effectively exchanges information in all formats, on matters having a wide range of importance and complexity both inter-organizationally and with outside customer/vendors.
- May coordinate the work of interns, drafters, technicians, and/or others and provides guidance and mentoring to less experienced engineers. Responsible for continuous self development of technical skills and competencies.
- May perform activities such as budgeting, estimating, forecasting, accounting, work order management, in support of engineering projects.
Minimum Requirements for Engineer
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from ABET accredited curriculum (or recognized equivalency)
- 0+ years relevant engineering experience
- Ability to demonstrate the unique technical skills and core competencies for this engineering level established & documented by the organization
Preferred Requirements for Engineer
- EIT/FE (Engineer in Training/Fundamentals of Engineering) preferred
Minimum Requirements for Staff Engineer
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from ABET accredited curriculum (or recognized equivalency).
- 2+ years relevant engineering experience.
- Demonstrated broad knowledge & proficiency in specialty area, knowledge of related specialties, & general knowledge of other related disciplines.
- Ability to demonstrate the unique technical skills & core competencies for this engineering level established and documented by the organization.
Preferred Requirements for Staff Engineer
- EIT/FE (Engineer in Training/Fundamentals of Engineering) strongly preferred
The successful candidate will be placed at a level that is commensurate with the candidate's skills and experience.
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you’re ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Posting Notes: MN - St Paul || MN - St Paul || United States (US) || Operations || 66681:Gas Integrity XS || Full-Time || Non-Bargaining ||
Requisition Number: 17673
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at [email protected]