WORK FOR AN AWARD-WINNING NON-PROFIT SOCIAL ENTERPRISE
Industry: International Development/Building Design and Construction
Job Location: Flexible base with some travel, prefer strategic positioning in NY, DC, San Francisco
Start Date: June 1, 2019
Term: Temporary, at least 8 months, with possibility long-term position
Salary: Competitive, with benefits
WHO WE ARE
Founded in 2004, Build Change is an innovative international non‐profit social enterprise whose mission is to save lives in earthquakes and hurricanes. We do that by designing disaster-resistant houses and schools; training homeowners, builders, engineers and government officials to build them; working with governments to develop and implement building standards; partnering with the private sector to improve building materials quality and create jobs; and facilitating access to incentive-based capital for reconstruction and retrofitting by partnering with financing institutions and government subsidy programs.
Build Change is the recipient of multiple awards, including a 2017 Skoll Foundation Award for Social Entrepreneurship, OpenIDEO Urban Resilience Challenge Winner, and was a top three finalist in IBM’s inaugural Call for Code Developer Challenge in 2018.
To learn more about us and our programs in Indonesia, Colombia, Guatemala, Philippines, Nepal, the Caribbean and the Pacific Islands, visit www.buildchange.org.
YOUR NEW OPPORTUNITY
As Engineering and Design Services Director, you will provide a key dual role, both internal facing an external facing.
Internally, you will provide support and leadership to Build Change’s global engineering program and be a focal point for Build Change’s senior management team to ensure the engineering program is operating in support of and in coordination with the needs of all country programs, the development team and the executive team.
Externally, the Engineering and Design Services Director will work with the development and executive teams on Partnership Development and Advocacy:
- Take the lead in partnership development opportunities in regards to Build Change’s engineering and design services, including but not limited to the development of new projects and partnerships and the ongoing formalization of ties between Build Change and its current partners.
- Support Build Change’s advocacy efforts for safe housing and schools with global stakeholders such as the World Bank, country governments, and the private sector, ensuring that the technical components are accurately represented.
- Provide support to Build Change's broader advocacy and partnership development activities, including:
- Composing and reviewing press releases, advocacy blogs, and other resources
- Preparing submittals for engineering awards
- Representing Build Change’s engineering and design position in meetings
- Recruiting engineering and architectural partners in private industry
- Establishing relationships with technical counterparts at NGOs, government agencies, private sector, and other potential partners
Working with Build Change’s regional and country engineering leaders, you will also provide quality control and review for all technical reports and presentations developed for external use, such as consulting project interim and final reports, post-disaster reconnaissance reports, and technical case studies and reports for submission to technical conferences and publications.
You are prepared to become familiar with all of Build Change’s extensive existing technical resources and those developed or piloted for current and past programs, and to be resourceful and proactive in ensuring these resources are consistent with Build Change’s current “Year of Simple” mandate, easy to implement and scalable, while sufficiently protective of life safety in earthquakes and windstorms. You are able to extend Build Change’s structural design criteria to include architectural and non-structural improvements which improve homeowner’s daily lives.
You can successfully coordinate with Build Change’s New Frontier Technologies team for integration of engineering design criteria and simplified resources into Build Change’s BIM software applications, AI and VR.
You are required to observe and oversee the implementation of Build Change's Construction Site Safety Policy, wear personal protective equipment on construction sites, and promote construction site safety within our projects.
The Engineering and Design Services Director reports to the Global Director of Engineering, and in her absence, the CEO. This position requires some travel as needed to Build Change's offices in Denver, Haiti, Indonesia, Nepal, the Philippines, and Colombia; to other countries where Build Change may open an office or otherwise work; to conferences, conventions, symposiums worldwide; and to meetings with current and potential partner organizations.
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE:
- a completed university degree in a related discipline (civil or structural engineering, architecture, sustainable design, building construction, etc.) from an accredited college or university; emphasis on earthquake and wind design and construction a plus.
- a valid passport.
Your experience includes:
- a minimum of 7 years professional experience in a field related to building design and construction in a country with well-established building code adoption and enforcement. Additional experience in design and construction of disaster-resistant buildings in a developing country is a very strong plus.
- proven experience in business development in the engineering and design services industry
- work in earthquake- and wind-resistant design and construction of confined masonry, reinforced masonry, RC frame, and timber buildings. Post-disaster reconnaissance experience is a plus.
- using international building codes and guidelines, including the IBC, ASCE 7, ASCE 41, etc.
- developing, scoping and writing or reviewing and editing project proposals for design, implementation or consulting work, and delivering high quality presentations.
- preparation of written reports, advocacy blogs, and project presentations.
You are able to:
- prepare or review and edit technical reports and presentations that are clear, simple and objective and can be understood by a broad audience, including non-technical people.
- adhere to the local safety and security policies and procedures of each country program visited.
- work successfully independently or remotely, as well as in a team environment.
- manage a team of technical staff, and deliver outcomes on time.
- communicate clearly and concisely, taking cultural norms into account, verbally and in writing.
You would describe yourself as:
- drama-free, optimistic, flexible, humble, patient, and having a good sense of humor.
- an excellent and proactive communicator, written and verbal, able to adjust your delivery to a specific audience.
- resourceful and self-motivated.
- extremely fluent in English, written and verbal.
And maybe you also:
- have experience with Revit®, Dynamo Scripts, AI, VR, AR, Fulcrum® and Fieldsight®.
- have a related professional accreditation, such as professional engineering license or charter, architectural license, etc.
- have worked in the Caribbean, Latin America, Asia or emerging nations.
- speak Spanish, French or any of the languages spoken in our program countries.
ARE YOU INTERESTED?
Then please visit www.buildchange.org/about/careers and select the link for this position. Applications will be accepted until filled. Qualified women and citizens of Build Change’s program countries are strongly encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. No calls please.