This Engineering/Architectural Technician position will serve as a general construction estimator and procurement specialist for the Construction & Major Maintenance group of NC DPS Central Engineering. This position is knowledgeable of general construction and provides construction expertise in the form of accurate budgetary estimating, bill of material take-offs, and schedule of value development for general construction materials and equipment. This position obtains bids, originates contracts, develops contractor submittal packages, and performs subcontractor submittal reviews for compliance with construction plans and specifications as a prelude to final approval by the Designer of Record. This position is responsible for ordering materials and equipment using the State procurement software and receiving said materials and equipment for accuracy and payment. This position is expected to determine the most economical and efficient method to procure general construction materials and equipment for large-scale commercial and institutional construction projects assigned to Central Engineering's Inmate Construction Program (ICP).
Listed below are the Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSA's) associated with this position. These KSA's, along with the Minimum Education and Experience Requirements listed, are required in order to be deemed "eligible" for the position. Qualified applicants must possess and application must clearly reflect work experience that demonstrates the following:
- General knowledge of the commercial and/or industrial construction industry.
- Previous experience estimating and procuring materials, equipment, and services.
- Ability to apply the commercial and/or industrial construction knowledge in the use of computers, estimating tools, software to generate construction bill of materials, schedule of values, material purchase requisitions and orders, informal and formal contracts for services, etc.
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft Office, including both Word and Excel, and willingness to learn new software programs.
- Ability to complete assignments when receiving written and oral directions from a direct or indirect supervisor.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in written form.
- Ability to express complex technical and/or program concepts in a clear, concise, organized and persuasive manner.
- General knowledge of North Carolina Building Codes.
- General knowledge of North Carolina DOA State Construction Office formal and informal contract requirements.
- Ability to read and interpret construction drawings and specifications
- Experience with the State E-Procurement System for material procurement.
- Experience with multiple construction trades (such as, Plumbing, Mechanical and Utilities) and understand how these trades are integrated in a general construction environment.
- An Associates Degree or higher in construction estimating, construction management, civil engineering, or architecture.
- A minimum of 5 years of general construction estimating and procurement experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
This is a career banded position at the Journey Level. Contributing applicants will be considered if no Journey Level applicants apply. Salary will be based on competencies, equity, labor market, and budget considerations.
ADA Physical Requirements will be discussed during the interview.