ABOUT THE SHED:Scheduled to open in early 2019 on the west side of Manhattan where the High Line meets Hudson Yards, The Shed will be the first multi-arts center designed to commission, produce, and present all types of performing arts, visual arts, and popular culture. From hip hop to classical music, visual art to literature, film to theater and dance, with collaborations across these disciplines and others, we will bring together leading artists from all art forms under one roof. The Shed will be driven by experimentation, innovation, and collaboration.
The Shed will be a place of significant cultural and societal impact, where the world’s leading artists and creative minds can make art that helps forge tomorrow’s world, and where audiences from all walks of life can experience this art together.
For more information, see: http://www.theshed.org
The Shed has been designed to be a highly adaptable, flexible and technologically advanced art and performance facility. There are many kinetic elements that provide for a fully deployable building structure which require specialized maintenance and operational procedures.
The Engineering Manager is responsible for developing, implementing and supervising operational programs for all facility systems, including HVAC, mechanical, electrical, digital technology, vertical transportation, kinetics and life safety systems. The Engineering Manager will supervise the engineering and maintenance staff, including hiring, scheduling, training and personnel development, as well as outside contractors.
Reporting to the Director of Facilities, this key managerial position will assist in creating and initiating new operational standards, formulate and manage budgets and work with the various organization departments for the successful hosting of events and programming. The Engineering Manager will coordinate maintenance and operations of shared Mechanical, HVAC and Fire Safety systems with the adjoined commercial office and residential towers.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Lead all staff in the facilities engineering team through the development, documentation and implementation of operational policies, standards and procedures.
- Strategically outline and implement preventative maintenance and capital improvement plans while monitoring productivity, optimizing efficiency and maintaining financial responsibility.
- Support cross functional cooperation and communication with the production, events, curatorial and programming departments to ensure successful, artist driven activities.
- Serve as the building liaison to local authorities, including the Department of Buildings and FDNY, as well as facility management personnel from the adjoined office, retail and residential properties for coordinating maintenance and operations of shared mechanical systems.
- Lead the safety programs for the organization and serve the role of Fire Safety Director.
- Develop and maintain effective building-specific maintenance and safety procedure manuals.
Qualifications & Qualities:
- Minimum 10 years of progressive experience in facility management with a deep knowledge of mechanical systems and proven track record directly leading vendors, contractors and in-house union trades. Experience working in NYC commercial buildings required; arts, cultural, and entertainment venues strongly preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of all equipment associated with commercial heating, ventilation, air conditioning, mechanical, fire safety and other building systems.
- Requires night, weekend and holiday work with 24-hour availability for emergency responses.
- Advanced knowledge and effective oversight in complying with national and local codes and standards including OSHA, NFPA, Building and Electrical.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills with proven leadership ability.
- Able to handle multiple projects simultaneously and manage priorities in fast-paced and high demand situations, while remaining extremely professional and customer service oriented.
- Detail oriented with strong computer and energy management system experience.
- Able to climb ladders, crouch and wear a safety harness to access and inspect equipment in tight mechanical spaces and at significant heights. (ex. Rooftops, Theatrical Grids).
Compensation will be commensurate with experience. Please provide salary requirements with your application.
Interested candidates should submit resume and cover letter in a single Word or PDF document saved as candidate’s first and last name. All submissions should be emailed to [email protected] with “Engineering Manager” in the subject line. Only resumes and cover letters submitted in this format will be reviewed. No phone calls, please.
The Shed is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to the goal of building a culturally diverse staff and strongly encourages applications from minority candidates.