FIBER LASER ENGINEER
Our laser systems team develops state-of-the-art lasers systems for a wide variety of applications and operational environments. As part of this team you will be responsible for supporting the design, build and characterization of advanced fiber laser systems. The successful candidate will thrive in a fast-paced, small-company environment and have direct hands-on experience with fiber lasers operating across the spectrum. An understanding the industry trends and best practices and a passion for taking advanced technology out of the laboratory and into the field is a major plus.
Fibertek is an advanced technology driven company that develops cutting edge technology with the end goal of translating into ruggedized, fielded customer solutions for a wide range of environments including space, airborne, vehicle, etc. Fibertek is an internationally recognized leader in the development of state-of-the-art laser and electro-optic solutions for the military, NASA and Aerospace markets.
Fibertek, Inc. has an immediate opportunity for an FIBER LASER ENGINEER, in Herndon, VA. You will support the development, integration and test of advanced fiber laser systems typically with performance requirements beyond the state-of-the-art. The work load will at times include multiple concurrent projects with a mix of short duration research programs and longer duration technology maturation programs.
Highlights of Responsibilities
- Contribute to the engineering development of unique laser designs through design analysis, component specification, and hardware assembly, integration and test
- Coordinate and support the build, alignment, and performance characterization of fiber lasers including multi-stage amplifiers, phase & amplitude modulation implementation, spectral and coherent beam combining
- Coordinate and perform formal acceptance and qualification testing
- Participate in customer interactions including formal technical reviews
- BS Physics or Optical Engineering w/ a minimum of 3 years of direct hands-on fiber laser experience including designing, building, characterizing laser systems
- Knowledge of the laser theory and industry best practices associated with fiber laser systems including continuous wave lasers, pulsed, high peak power fiber, advanced fiber architectures, single-frequency injection locked lasers, low frequency noise lasers, electrical and thermal sub-systems
- Ability to design and execute experiments validating laser system performance and correlate the results with the expected performance
- Strong communication and documentation skills for efficient multidisciplinary communication
- US citizenship required
- MS or PhD in Physics or Optical Engineering
- Experience with modeling and simulation of laser systems industry standard tools, i.e. Matlab, MathCAD, Zemax or equivalent software tools
- Ability to develop innovative solutions to complex laser challenges demonstrating ingenuity and creativity
We are located in the center of northern Virginia’s technology corridor, and in close proximity to the world-class cultural venues in our nation’s capital and the wide range of outdoor activities offered in the Blue Ridge Mountains and Chesapeake Bay areas. Fibertek fosters a progressive learning environment that values inspiration, promotes professional challenge and encourages personal growth. We offer competitive compensation and an excellent benefits package that includes a flexible work schedule, comprehensive medical insurance and a 401k plan. Relocation assistance will be available
The employer reserves the right to revise or change this description. This description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment. Fibertek, Inc. is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Applicants are considered regardless of race, color, religion, sex, disability, veteran status, or any other protected characteristic in accordance with applicable law.