Job Grade: B
Hierarchy: Yes - We may hire at a higher level
Union Position: Non-Bargaining
Are you looking for an exciting job where you can put your skills, talents and education to work at a company you can feel proud to be a part of? Do you want a workplace that will challenge you and offer you opportunities to learn and grow? A professional position at Xcel Energy could be just what you’re looking for. Xcel Energy is standing on the threshold of an energy evolution. Be a part of Advanced Grid Intelligence and Security (AGIS) - a long-term strategic initiative to transform the electrical distribution business to enhance security, efficiency and reliability, to safely integrate more distributed resources, and to enable improved customer products and services.
Under general direction, demonstrates complete understanding & wide application of engineering technical principle, theories, & concepts in the field. Independently determines & develops approaches to solutions. Receives technical guidance on complex problems; completed work reviewed for adequacy in meeting objectives. May lead small-medium non-critical projects or critical projects under direction of higher level engineer/supervisor. May provide work direction to other professionals &/or staff. Represents the organization in providing solutions to difficult technical issues associated with specific projects. Frequent inter-organizational & outside customer contact. Demonstrates a broad knowledge & proficiency of precedents in the specialty area, a good knowledge of related specialties, & general knowledge of other related disciplines. This role will work as the technical lead for it Integrated Volt VAr Optimization project (IVVO). This role is responsible for ensuring Xcel Energy meets its project commitments through timely engineering analysis of automation device locations on the Distribution system, deployment of those devices, enablement of communications and commissioning within the company's Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) system. This role will additionally provide detailed reporting on project progress for dissemination to internal and external stakeholder teams.
- Uses & applies technical standards, principles, theories, concepts, & techniques to perform activities/assignments that may include a variety of complex features such as conflicting design requirements, unsuitability of conventional materials or methods & difficult coordination requirements.
- Supports the development of technical documentation (including but not limited to designs, testing, calculations, reports, standards, etc.) Utilizes & may assist with the development of procedures requiring a broad knowledge & proficiency in a specialty area & has a general knowledge of related disciplines.
- Works under the general direction of a higher level engineer or supervisor for routine engineering projects. Provide ongoing technical support for project activities within areas such as Operations, Maintenance, testing/diagnostics & Regulatory. May provide field engineering oversight &/or direction for activities such as commissioning, testing, inspections, etc.
- May lead small-medium, non-critical projects. Coordinate/leads critical projects or portions of projects (including phases such as research, design, equipment selection, procurement support, installation & commissioning), under the direction of a higher level engineer or supervisor. Work reviewed upon completion for adequacy in meeting objectives.
- Under the direction of a higher level engineer/supervisor supports bid/evaluation processes including preparation of bid documents, completion of technical evaluations for proposals; provide recommendations for selection, etc. Partners & communicates with areas such as Supply Chain & Legal following appropriate processes.
- Frequently exchanges information in all formats, on matters having a wide range of importance & complexity both inter-organizationally & with outside customers.
- May assign tasks & coordinate work of interns, drafters, technicians, craft personnel and/or others. Provide guidance & mentoring to less experienced engineers. Responsible for continuous self-development of technical skills & competencies.
- Performs activities such as budgeting, estimating, forecasting, accounting, work order management, in support of engineering projects.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from ABET accredited curriculum (or recognized equivalency).
- 2+ years relevant engineering experience.
- Demonstrated broad knowledge & proficiency in specialty area, knowledge of related specialties, & general knowledge of other related disciplines.
- Ability to demonstrate the unique technical skills & core competencies for this engineering level established and documented by the organization.
- EIT/FE (Engineer in Training/Fundamentals of Engineering) strongly preferred
- Have experience with electric distribution systems, substation and distribution automated devices, and voltage control philosophies (substation load tap chargers, distribution capacitor banks, etc)
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you’re ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Posting Notes: CO - Denver || CO - Denver || United States (US) || Operations || 59380:Dist Electric Engineering || Full-Time || Non-Bargaining ||
Requisition Number: 15906
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at [email protected]