Location(s): TX - Amarillo
Are you fit and ready to work hard at a challenging but rewarding job that doesn’t require you to sit behind a desk all day? Do you want to build a long-term career in a stable industry at a company that’s committed to treating you with respect, training you well and ensuring your safety? A field or skilled labor job at Xcel Energy could be the opportunity you’re looking for.
***NOTE: This position requires an assessment prior to interview consideration. We ask you to please carefully read the instructions below
Xcel Energy is looking to fill two (2) Maintenance Apprentice 1st Year positions for the Nichols Station power plant in Amarillo, TX
Job duties will include, but not limited to, troubleshoot, construct and maintain plant equipment (turbines, boilers, pumps, compressors, cooling towers, etc.).
The employee will be required to actively participate in hands-on training, required classroom training and computer interactive training programs, as directed by management. The employee will also be required to successfully complete 4 year apprentice program and qualify for Maintenance Journeyman. Travel to other locations may be required.
Environmental Exposure: Employee will work in and around energized/rotating equipment, confined spaces, vibrating equipment, heights, noise levels requiring ear protection, presence of chemical fumes, lead and dust requiring use of a respirator and work in a wide range of ambient temperatures, both hot and cold. The employee will work off of ladders and scaffolding, in elevated positions, and may be required to handle asbestos, lead and other hazardous materials. Employee must be able to walk, climb stairs and ladders throughout the plant. Work is often on gravel concrete and uneven surfaces.
1) High school diploma or GED
2) Must have successfully passed the Behavioral Assessment (external) & Edison Electric Institute (EEI) Maintenance Positions Selection Systems (MASS) test
3) Must respond to overtime and call outs.
4) Must commit to working safely and adhere to Company safety rules including wearing a hard hat, safety footwear, protective eye wear and Proper Protective Equipment (PPE).
5) Able to lift 50 pounds
6) Valid driver’s license
7) Must be respirator qualified (Pulmonary Function Test)
8) Must take Base line Audiogram
Successfully pass the Xcel Energy screening requirements, which include a drug test, security clearance and other exams that are required by federal regulations, such as OSHA and DOT, will be performed as required
Steps in Xcel Energy’s hiring process
- All qualified candidates will be sent an online assessment via e-mail. Applicants must successfully pass in order to be further considered.
- Candidates who successfully pass the assessment will be contacted to come in for an information session and interview.
- After attending our information session/interview, our Team Leaders will collaborate to decide which candidates are best qualified and offers will be made.
- Candidates who accept the employment offer will be required to pass Xcel Energy’s background check and drug test. This process can take up to two weeks before clearance is issued.
- After successful passing of the background check and drug test, candidates are ready to start the training class.
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you’re ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Posting Notes: TX - Amarillo || TX - Amarillo || United States (US) || Operations || 10600:Harrington Station || Full-Time || Bargaining ||
Requisition Number: 18615
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at [email protected]