Ivanhoé Cambridge develops and invests in high-quality real estate properties, projects and companies that are shaping the urban fabric in dynamic cities around the world. It does so responsibly, with a long-term view to generate optimal, risk-adjusted returns. Ivanhoé Cambridge is committed to creating living spaces that foster the well-being of people and communities, while reducing its environmental footprint.
Vertically integrated in Canada, Ivanhoé Cambridge invests internationally alongside strategic partners and major real estate funds that are leaders in their markets. Through subsidiaries and partnerships, the Company holds interests in more than 1,000 buildings, primarily in the residential, office, retail, industrial and logistics sectors. Ivanhoé Cambridge held more than C$60 billion in assets as at December 31, 2017, and is a real estate subsidiary of the Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec (cdpq.com), one of Canada's leading institutional fund managers. For more information: ivanhoecambridge.com.
Department: Operational Sustainability & Planning
Position type: SalariedSpecific accountabilities
Energy management is a critical component of Ivanhoe Cambridge’s strategic plan for sustainability. The primary objective of this role is to fulfill the responsibilities of the BC Hydro strategic energy management plan (SEMP) for British Columbia. These responsibilities include: energy management within the British Columbia portfolio, strategy and business case development, financial management, project planning and implementation. Additionally, we are seeking someone with working knowledge of building automation and control, and the ability to oversee the energy management component of a portfolio of retail shopping centres. The successful candidate will be responsible for the execution of major capital projects within the organization as well as the ability to promote education and awareness initiatives related to energy conservation and sustainable energy practices.
· Work closely with the BC Hydro Account Manager for all activities related to BC Hydro’s Energy Manager Program and achieve annual savings targets as prescribed in the BC Hydro Energy Manager agreement;
· Prepare and present quarterly reports on project status’ and energy consumption by site;
· In conjunction with the local operations personnel, compile and keep current an ongoing list of energy saving opportunities (EM Projects);
· Identify, submit applications, and track financial subsidies for each project;
· Evaluate property-level requirements aimed at improving base-building infrastructure and technological solutions;
· Aid in the evaluation and implementation of a portfolio-wide energy management system;
· Oversee daily energy performance of specific properties;
· Manage all potential and approved projects via an established project management software/database prescribed by BC Hydro and Ivanhoe Cambridge;
· Identify potential bidders and assemble bid specifications for identified projects;
· Work with the property operations team to mutually schedule EM project work;
· Manage all aspects of ongoing projects including all consultants, contractors and government authorities necessary for the smooth operation of the project and the property. Make required site visits during construction phases to ensure scope of work is followed.
· Build a case for high priority energy saving projects in time for annual budgeting (Capital & Expense);
· May be required to assist in the development of a strategic plan related to renewable energy generation, including both on-site and off-site opportunities, PPAs, virtual PPAs, and other aspects of renewable energy, as required;
· Keep updated on new and emerging technologies, including but not limited to smart buildings, battery storage, electric and autonomous vehicles, and others as required;
· Assist team in understanding global impacts of legislative and regulatory issues related to energy, carbon, water, and waste;
· Provide expertise in climate change risk assessment, adaptation, and mitigation, as required;
· Provide support to properties in their efforts to become more sustainable.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
Education: A combination of experience and education from the following:
· Masters designation in business, planning, sustainability or appropriate field;
· Registered Professional Engineer;
· Registered Engineering Technologist;
· Certified Energy Manager;
· LEEP AP (with designation);
· BCIT Sustainable Energy Management Associate Certificate or Advanced Certificate;
· Certified Journeyman Electrician/Technician;
· Eligible member of BC Association of Applied Science Technologist and Technicians;
· Post-secondary coursework in business management and/or operations management is an asset.
Specific Knowledge and Skills:
· Minimum of 5-7 years experience in energy management coupled with strong working knowledge of the trades and business and/or project management;
· Excellent knowledge of HVAC and DDC systems;
· Well-versed in business management including business case development, financial management, project planning and contract negotiations;
· Experience creating and presenting business cases and/or project plans that include both financial and operational requirements;
· Strong working knowledge of facilities systems (civil, structural, electrical, mechanical and environmental);
· Knowledge of green building certification programs such as LEED, BOMA, WELL, Fitwell, Wiredscore;
· Knowledge of international green building rating systems;
· Ability to build strong relationships with people at all levels of an organization;
· Highly proficient in Excel, Word, Powerpoint and Microsoft Project (import/export images);
· Strong organizational and communication skills (written/oral) are required;
· Ability to easily develop and maintain rapport with internal and external clients and consultants;
· Candidate must be able to prioritize and meet deadlines;
· Self-motivated, proactive, team player, able to work effectively on multiple tasks within a fast-paced environment independently, often with minimal direction or supervision;
· Ability to travel, as required.
If you are interested in this challenge, please submit your resume.
You have everything to gain!
When you join the Ivanhoé Cambridge team, you are eligible for employment benefits and a pension plan that are among the best in the industry. Our many health and wellness programs encourage you to balance your work and personal lives and fulfil your desire for social involvement, while maintaining a healthy lifestyle. At Ivanhoé Cambridge, you will have many opportunities to develop your skills and thrive professionally, in Canada or elsewhere in the world. Our initiatives aimed at creating an exceptional working environment that inspires our employees to give the best of themselves elevated Ivanhoé Cambridge into the ranks of Canada’s 50 Best Employers, 100 Top Employers and 10 Most Admired Corporate Cultures.
Ivanhoé Cambridge’s commitment to diversity and inclusion spans the breadth of its operations. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We take pride in creating a working environment where everyone is set up for success. Please advise us of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.