Major, international manufacturer is seeking a Manager Technical Engineering & Capital Projects who will be is responsible for managing and directing the engineering, quality and maintenance department staff resources in support of Divisional and plant operating objectives through continuous review and re-engineering of manufacturing equipment and processes utilizing lean manufacturing tools and techniques.
Will be responsible for the negotiation and procurement of natural resources including electricity, natural gas and oil. Assures the development and implementation of comprehensive quality programs for the facility in NY and PA in accordance with Vendor Certifications, Customer Certifications, and recognized international standards such as ISO.
The Manager will direct the improvements in process and quality to maximize output consistency and reduce waste and costs to meet divisional goals and objectives. Drives the development and implementation of the WCM program within the organization through continued development of WCM teams that will reduce costs, improve processes, skills and technology.
Supervise Maintenance and Quality Managers, an engineer and 14 indirect hourly workers.
Initial priorities will be to stabilize machine functions, reduce downtime and maintain highest quality. Establish good Preventative Maintenance systems, ensure new systems and procedures are consistently maintained.
Second phase will involve facility and machinery modernization, project oversight, capital investment, necessary training including Lean concepts.
1. Manage the manufacturing modernization efforts through extensive knowledge of plant operations, manufacturing economics, process dynamics and alternative technologies. Develop "blueprint" for change to yield significant cost and quality improvements for the division. Key output is a rolling capital spending strategy covering 2-3 years in support of the business unit's targets and capacity requirements.
2. Manage and direct engineering resources to achieve goals related to personnel safety, department operating budgets, plant capital spending, and project objectives. Utilize project management skills for projects that are unique in scope, i.e., plant liquidations, property sales or projects that cross plant or regional lines.
3. Coordination and management of planning and administrative activities related to production and engineering issues. Key objective is to resolve production, quality or process problems quickly and effectively while maintaining control over spending costs and project commitments. Ensure rapid response to project engineers or line supervision on urgent issues affecting abroad array of areas such as safety, process quality, and machine downtime.
4. Investigate, develop and implement Quality Assurance methods, systems and procedures to ensure that established standards of products, accuracy, workmanship and performance are maintained. Direct all factory experimentation and commercial scale-up manufacturing operations for all new or modified products. Responsible for updating the specifications system for all products. Investigate and solve quality problems through direct intervention to improve product consistency, productivity and reduce process waste.
5. Manage the ISO quality certification process including planning and implementing required audits and updates to the plant certification.
6. Drives the development and implementation of the WCM program within the organization through continued development of WCM teams that will reduce costs, improve processes, skills and technology
Bachelor’s degree in one of the engineering disciplines, as well as the training acquired with an advanced degree (MBA). Qualifications would include extensive (15+ years) of industrial manufacturing experience.
Must have strong TPM and RCCA experience.
Thorough familiarity with the materials, processes and products coupled with specialized expertise in quality assurance principles and theory, statistical methods and design of experiments also required. Must have proven managerial skills, excellent people skills and skills in communication and persuasion.
Also requires Six Sigma Green Belt certification and ISO experience along with presentation and program management/ MBO knowledge.
Must be able to communicate well at all levels within the organization. This includes R&D, Product Managers, factory supervision, union employees and office personnel.
Client offers a competitive salary, bonus and benefit package including a 401K and employer paid pension.
Excellent opportunities for advancement with a multi-billion dollar company.