Location(s): WI - Chippewa Falls
Are you fit and ready to work hard at a challenging but rewarding job that doesn’t require you to sit behind a desk all day? Do you want to build a long-term career in a stable industry at a company that’s committed to treating you with respect, training you well and ensuring your safety? A field or skilled labor job at Xcel Energy could be the opportunity you’re looking for.
***NOTE: This position requires an assessment prior to interview consideration. We ask you to please carefully read the instructions below
We anticipate the need for one or more Mechanic Technician Apprentice(s) at our Hydro Maintenance Building in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin. Candidate skills and qualifications will be evaluated and, in conformity to union contract, appropriate step placement will be offered to a successful candidate.
Pay may also be adjusted in conformity with union contract, but in no case will it be less than the negotiated step minimum. Minimum apprentice pay levels as a percentage of base Journeyman Mechanic Technician pay:
Determines safe methods and practices of repairing power plant equipment. Routinely applies in-depth knowledge of power generating facility mechanical systems, rigging and lifting, scaffolding, and general hand tools. Performs corrective, preventive and predictive maintenance on mechanical power plant equipment such as hydro turbines & generators, pumps, water treating equipment, tainter gates, and governors, in accordance with OEM Technical Manuals, to include procurement of materials and services to support the on-going maintenance activities at all the facilities. Interprets mechanical drawings and is proficient in the use of precision measuring equipment. Maintains inventory of plant tools and spare parts. Track all corrective, preventive, and predictive maintenance through the facility CMMS program.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- 3-5 years of experience as a maintenance mechanic in an industrial setting or environment and or military experience
- Must have good oral and written communication skills, and be proficient in the use of personal computers, specifically MS Word and MS Excel; and CMMS systems
- Must meet driver qualification requirements as specified in FMCSR parts 382 and 391 and obtain a valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Class A within the first 6 months of hire
- This position is subject to D.O.T. random drug and alcohol testing program
- Willingness to travel and work away from home
- Must reside within 20 mile radius of assigned Hydro Maintenance Building within the first 6 months of hire
- Associates Degree in Mechanical trades or Mechanical Engineering Technology is preferred
- Power Plant experience
- Hydro Plant experience
Steps in Xcel Energy’s hiring process
- All qualified candidates will be sent an online assessment via e-mail. Applicants must successfully pass in order to be further considered.
- Candidates who successfully pass the assessment will be contacted to come in for an information session and interview.
- After attending our information session/interview, our Team Leaders will collaborate to decide which candidates are best qualified and offers will be made.
- Candidates who accept the employment offer will be required to pass Xcel Energy’s background check and drug test. This process can take up to two weeks before clearance is issued.
- After successful passing of the background check and drug test, candidates are ready to start the training class.
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you’re ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Posting Notes: WI - Chippewa Falls || WI - Chippewa Falls || United States (US) || Operations || 612GO:Hydro Maintenance || Full-Time || Bargaining ||
Requisition Number: 17382
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at [email protected]