Required Education: AS, BS or higher in ME or MET or demonstrable equivalent. A minimum of 3 years of similar design experience is expected.
Work as a member of the Engineering team to assist the department in producing a smooth, efficient flow of quality work through the company. Will receive direction and work assignments from other members of the Engineering department, in coordination with the immediate supervisor.
Candidates should have education or experience in the following technical areas:
· Basic mechanical and manufacturing process knowledge is expected.
· Experience in using 2-D CAD drawing package is expected (Autodesk AutoCAD preferred).
· Experience in using Autodesk Inventor for 3-D CAD drawing software and 3-D modelling design principles is expected.
· Design and layout of wire harnesses, sheet metal, molded parts and circuit boards is desired.
· 12/24 volt automotive electrical system background is helpful.
Candidates should possess:
· Logical thinking ability and a strong attention to detail.
· Good verbal and written communication skills.
· Leadership and interfacing skills for coordinating work with other engineers, departments, vendors and customers.
· Ability to work individually or cooperatively on mechanical projects with several team members.
General Responsibilities (90%)
· Detailed mechanical design engineering of products.
· Support of the part, assembly and system feasibility process:
o Provide initial design concepts, including research of new components.
o Provide initial time and material estimates for quotes.
o Compiling costs and lead times for non-recurring engineering charges.
· Support of the part, assembly and system design process:
o Complete the mechanical design details and generate required assembly and part prints.
o Provide guidance on design specifics (fastener torques, selection of fasteners, acceptable tolerances, etc.)
o Create and maintain bills of materials for fabricated and assembled products.
o Construct prototypes.
o Perform mechanical and/or basic electrical testing to verify designs meet ACTIA and customer requirements.
o 1st piece inspection and approval of prototype parts or purchased parts, including review or completion of any required test and inspection reports.
o Produce documentation as required per ISO9001:2008.
· Support of the production and life cycle process
o Assist in the production startup of products (interaction with other departments for completing prototypes and projects).
o Writing and implementing Engineering Change Notices.
o Monitoring and making appropriate notifications to various departments when parts or systems are being revised or obsoleted to reduce obsolete inventory.
· Documentation support:
o Create, update and/or review internal ACTIA prints as required for the production release process.
o Document purchased parts by creating and/or gathering prints, data sheets and approval criteria.
o Other supporting documentation as required
· Responsible that all mechanical engineering activities are properly completed.
· Other supporting documentation, etc. as required
· Estimate the time required to complete projects
· Estimate the delivery dates for prototypes and drawing changes
Miscellaneous Duties (10%)
· Investigate new technologies and processes that can be used to create competitive products.
· Research engineering processes and methods to improve engineering efficiency.
· Help out in other work areas when requested by your supervisor.
· Maintain time records and project reports as required.
· Provide technical assistance to Service & Warranty, Purchasing and Quality departments.
· Help out as required to design and build small programming or test fixtures.
· Support Engineering and Manufacturing by designing and 3-D printing prototype parts, fixtures, etc.
· Other duties as directed by the supervisor.
Travel: Occasional travel to customers and vendors, with overnight stays, may be required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk, and hear. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock and moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.