Location(s): TX - Amarillo
Are you an engineer who wants a challenging, rewarding career at a Fortune 500 company that’s committed to excellence, safety and environmental stewardship? Do you want to be part of shaping our energy future? An engineering position at Xcel Energy could be a great match for you.
Viewed as the technical engineer or subject matter expert for the organization in the application of advanced theories, concepts, principles, and processes for an assigned area of responsibility (i.e. subject matter, function, type of facility, equipment or product). Contributes to the development of new principles and concepts. Problems must be approached through a series of complex and conceptually related studies, are difficult to define, require unconventional or innovative approaches, and require sophisticated research techniques. Responsible for major project or several complex projects of moderate to large scope. Serves as organization spokesperson on advanced projects and/or programs. Acts as advisor to management and customers on advanced technical research studies and applications. Maintains contacts with individuals and units within and outside the corporation for action on technical matters. Works under consultative direction toward broad general goals and objectives. Assignments are often self-initiated. Determine and pursue courses of action necessary to obtain desired results. Work checked through consultation and agreement with others rather than by formal review of superior. May provide work direction for a team of engineers, technicians and other professionals as necessary to complete assignments. This includes evaluation of work progress and results/feedback to supervisors on performance. May lead multiple critical and/or complex projects.
- Uses & applies technical standards, principles, theories, concepts, & techniques to perform activities/assignments that may include a variety of complex features such as conflicting design requirements, unsuitability of conventional materials or methods & difficult coordination requirements.
- Supports the development of technical documentation (including but not limited to designs, testing, calculations, reports, standards, etc.) Utilizes & may assist with the development of procedures requiring a broad knowledge & proficiency in a specialty area & has a general knowledge of related disciplines.
- Works under the general direction of a higher level engineer or supervisor for routine engineering projects. Provide ongoing technical support for project activities within areas such as Operations, Maintenance, testing/diagnostics & Regulatory. May provide field engineering oversight &/or direction for activities such as commissioning, testing, inspections, etc.
- May lead small-medium, non-critical projects. Coordinate/leads critical projects or portions of projects (including phases such as research, design, equipment selection, procurement support, installation & commissioning), under the direction of a higher level engineer or supervisor. Work reviewed upon completion for adequacy in meeting objectives.
- Under the direction of a higher level engineer/supervisor supports bid/evaluation processes including preparation of bid documents, completion of technical evaluations for proposals; provide recommendations for selection, etc. Partners & communicates with areas such as Supply Chain & Legal following appropriate processes.
- Frequently exchanges information in all formats, on matters having a wide range of importance & complexity both inter-organizationally & with outside customers.
- May assign tasks & coordinate work of interns, drafters, technicians, craft personnel and/or others. Provide guidance & mentoring to less experienced engineers. Responsible for continuous self-development of technical skills & competencies.
- Performs activities such as budgeting, estimating, forecasting, accounting, work order management, in support of engineering projects.
Principal Minimum Requirements
•Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from ABET accredited curriculum (or recognized equivalency)
•9+ years relevant engineering experience
•PE (Professional Engineer) registration required
•Ability to demonstrate the unique technical skills and core competencies for this engineering level established & documented by the organization.
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you’re ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Posting Notes: TX - Amarillo || TX - Amarillo || United States (US) || Operations || 38691:Transmission Line Performance || Full-Time || Non-Bargaining ||
Requisition Number: 15344
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at [email protected]