Location(s): MN - Minneapolis
Are you an engineer who wants a challenging, rewarding career at a Fortune 500 company that’s committed to excellence, safety and environmental stewardship? Do you want to be part of shaping our energy future? An engineering position at Xcel Energy could be a great match for you.
Xcel Energy is looking to fill a Principal Substation Engineer to join our outstanding team! This position can be located in the following Xcel Energy locations; CO, TX, MN and WI.
Viewed as the technical engineer or subject matter expert for the organization in the application of advanced theories, concepts, principles, and processes for an assigned area of responsibility (i.e. subject matter, function, type of facility, equipment or product). Contributes to the development of new principles and concepts. Problems must be approached through a series of complex and conceptually related studies, are difficult to define, require unconventional or innovative approaches, and require sophisticated research techniques. Responsible for major project or several complex projects of moderate to large scope. Serves as organization spokesperson on advanced projects and/or programs. Acts as advisor to management and customers on advanced technical research studies and applications. Maintains contacts with individuals and units within and outside the corporation for action on technical matters. Works under consultative direction toward broad general goals and objectives. Assignments are often self-initiated. Determine and pursue courses of action necessary to obtain desired results. Work checked through consultation and agreement with others rather than by formal review of superior. May provide work direction for a team of engineers, technicians and other professionals as necessary to complete assignments. This includes evaluation of work progress and results/feedback to supervisors on performance. May lead multiple critical and/or complex projects. This position can be located in Colorado, Texas, Minnesota and Wisconsin.
- Applies extensive technical expertise and has a higher level understanding of the basic principals of other related disciplines. Fully demonstrates the unique technical skills and core competencies for this engineering level by applying advanced technical principles, theories and concepts, and contributes to the development of new principles, concepts and technical standards. Fully demonstrates unique technical skills.
- As a recognized internal technical SME, conceives plans and conducts research to develop procedures, codes and standards in problem areas of considerable scope and complexity and supports the development of technical documentation through a series of complex and conceptually related studies requiring unconventional or innovative approaches.
- Exercises authority and technical leadership on assignments that are often self-initiated and self-directed. Assignments are strategic and have significant long-term implications to achievement of overall business objectives.
- May lead multiple critical and/or complex projects including research, design, equipment specification & selection, installation, start-up, commissioning and evaluation of work progress and results.
- Acts as advisor to management and customers on advanced technical research studies and applications. Manages bid/evaluation processes which include the preparation of bid documents, completion of technical evaluations for proposals and the review and approval of recommendations for selection.
- Serves as organization spokesperson on advanced projects and/or programs. Is influential in all forms of communications with internal and external business.
- May provide oversight of engineers, interns, craft personnel, technicians and other professionals. Forms mentoring relationships with less experienced engineers for the transfer of knowledge and continuous self development of technical skills and competencies. Demonstrates effective leadership skills.
- May provide overall coordination of processes related to budgeting, estimating, forecasting, accounting and work order management, in support of existing engineering projects or packaging proposals for future projects.
- •Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from ABET accredited curriculum (or recognized equivalency)
- •9+ years relevant engineering experience
- •PE (Professional Engineer) registration required
- •Ability to demonstrate the unique technical skills and core competencies for this engineering level established & documented by the organization
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you’re ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Posting Notes: CO - Denver || MN - Minneapolis || United States (US) || Operations || 41530:Eng & Design Outsourcing XLS || Full-Time || Non-Bargaining ||
Requisition Number: 14504
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at [email protected]