Location(s): TX - Amarillo
Do you want to have an essential role supporting the energy infrastructure that provides power to millions of homes and businesses? Do you want to work for a company that is committed to excellence, safety and environmental stewardship? Consider a job at one of Xcel Energy’s power plants, and help us keep the lights on.
Xcel Energy has one (1) opening for a Performance Testing & Analysis (PT&A) Technician III in Amarillo, TX!
Responsible for test equipment installation at all power generating facilities. Prior to testing, ensures that all test equipment is in proper working order, which includes repairing, calibrating and replacing malfunctioning equipment. Maintains audit-ready comprehensive calibrations and maintenance records on all test equipment. Ensures all test equipment will meet quality standards established by the utility industry’s power test codes, EPA and Xcel Energy test protocols.
Independently plans, directs, schedules and coordinates all aspect of power plant test equipment repair and installation activities. Trains and provides guidance to other Performance Testing Technicians and directs work activities as needed. Demonstrates a thorough understanding of all testing procedures, power plant processes, quality assurance requirements, and the hazards of working with high pressure, temperature, and electrical voltages.
- Coordinates and installs test instrumentation for plant performance, acceptance and emissions compliance testing for Xcel Energy units and Independent Power Producing Facilities. Solves test equipment problems that may occur once equipment is installed in the field. Works directly with other departments, such as Commercial Operations, Environmental Services and Plant Operations to coordinate various facets of the test, such as instrument field installation and tie-in. Ensures that test activities do not negatively impact plant operations.
- Directs and coordinates all test equipment calibrations, repairs, replacements, certifications and diagnostics. Purchases new test equipment and supplies through the O&M and capital budget process. Supports the plant with test instrumentation and equipment when accurate and unique information on plant equipment is needed. Considered an expert on plant testing and proper use of field measurement instrumentation tools.
- Direct and performs boiler performance tests and tuning. This may including coal fineness testing, coal mill balance, HVT testing, oxygen measurement in boiler ducts and boiler balancing. Also, performs data reduction and mathematical analysis of test results. Prepares and Issues test report in accordance with group standards.
- Develops and maintains all test computer software protocols and drivers that allow the field measurement instruments, data acquisition system (DAS) and test computer to communicate with each other.
- Will be proficient in all code compliant instrument calibration techniques which must be defendable in any regulatory audits. Will direct junior technicians, new engineers and interns in the safe and proper installation of all test equipment.
- Responsible for writing test equipment and system operation procedures. Performs other duties (i.e., special projects, special tests and prepares corporate documents) as assigned by management or department engineers.
This position requires either an Associate degree (Bachelor’s degree preferred) from an accredited college in a technical field with two (2) years of industry experience or four (4) years of equivalent industry experience. Technicians performing emissions tests are required to maintain a Qualified Source Testing Individual (QSTI) certification. Any technician performing emissions functions will act as the regional Quality Manager and/or Technical Director and will be accountable for all test activities according to the Quality Assurance Manual, Part 75, to ensure continued certification as an Air Emission Testing Body as required by the EPA.
In addition to the above, a person in this position must meet the following requirements:
- Has a working knowledge of industrial processes and safe installation of testing equipment.
- Has the ability to lead others in the installation and removal of test equipment.
- Has a working knowledge of applicable performance/emission test codes, safety procedures, testing equipment, and a variety of systems at power plants.
- Has ability to work effectively and safely with high pressure and temperature fluids along with high electrical voltages.
- Has ability to motivate others to complete the work in a safe and effective manner.
- Proficient with a PC and Microsoft applications including word processing, spreadsheets, and database management.
- Able to support team efforts by emphasizing team objectives and cooperation.
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you’re ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Posting Notes: TX - Amarillo || TX - Amarillo || United States (US) || Operations || 31222:Performance Monitoring TX || Full-Time || Non-Bargaining ||
Requisition Number: 14965
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at [email protected]