Announcement: ODOT17-0045ocRoadway Design Lead – Professional Engineer 2Highway Division – Region 1 Technical CenterPortland
Our Region 1 Technical Center in Portland is recruiting for a professional engineer to act as a lead worker in the Roadway Design Unit. This person is the senior design expert on roadway design teams and provides design consulting and mentoring from preliminary engineering to final design for highly complex urban highway construction projects.Some of the key responsibilities are:* Lead roadway design team toward development of transportation projects, ensuring that project decisions are clearly documented and that project plans and specifications provide a readily constructible project.
* Provide guidance and mentorship for emerging engineers.
* Acting as the assistant Roadway Unit manager, performing the roadway manager's duties as directed in the roadway manager's absence.
* Providing technical opinion and expertise to region, city, county, and consultant personnel.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity. Additional Details:* This recruitment will remain open until filled. Our first application screening is scheduled for Monday, August 14, 2017 at 7:30am, but we may close the announcement at any time when we have received an adequate number of applications. We cannot guarantee that we will consider applications received after the first screening date. We encourage interested applicants not to delay in applying.
* This position is represented by the Association of Engineering Employees of Oregon (AEE).
* Independently design and prepare roadway portion of plans, specifications, estimate (PS&E) for most difficult projects.
* Mentor, develop and direct emerging transportation engineers.
* Provide guidance to designers and drafters toward PS&E preparation.
* Develop and prepare design exceptions.
* Provide technical support and review for consultant developed projects on complex issues involving intricate designs considering operations, maintenance, specialized engineering disciplines, and constructability.
* Coordinate with other lead workers to assist Roadway discipline manager in workload and staff resource balancing.
* Coordinate with other technical disciplines towards project delivery.
* Represent agency on professional committees, task forces, and focus groups with other state and local agencies.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: Minimum Qualifications:A valid professional engineer's (PE) license in civil, structural, or transportation-related engineering and three (3) years of journey level professional engineer experience. Note: If registered in another state, successful applicants will be required to obtain comity within six months of hire. Special Qualifications:Driving is an essential function of this position. A valid driver license and an acceptable driving record are required for this position. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s). Preferred Attributes: We may show preference to candidates whose application materials demonstrate the following.* Significant experience in roadway project engineering on public infrastructure projects.
* Experience in administering public contracts.
* Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
* Experience in construction engineering.
* Experience in public presentations (city council meetings, public information meetings, etc.)
Working Conditions:* Indoor office work at a desk or computer.
* Travel required within the state.
* Some evening meetings required.
* Heavy workload requires getting plans prepared to meet deadlines while ensuring that projects are properly designed.
* May encounter hostile or emotionally charged individuals.
* Occasional work outdoors at project sites.
* Potential exposure to extreme hazards of traffic, construction equipment, inclement weather conditions, plants, insects, and animals.
* At project sites, may need to walk on rough terrain and stoop or bend around structures or equipment.
* May be required to work 20 feet or more above ground/water.
Application Instructions: Click here to apply. We appreciate your interest in this position. To apply, please submit a resume as described below and answer our supplemental questions. Note that we have disabled several sections of the electronic application. Because of the volume of applications we receive, we do not review attachments we do not ask for. Please do not attach a cover letter.* Resume: In your resume, you must clearly describe how you meet the qualifications for this position as listed above and include a list of verifiable employers and dates of employment. Please title your resume using this format, "[last name]_ODOT17_0045oc_Resume."
* Caution: If you fail to follow these instructions, including failing to attach a resume as described above, we will have to disqualify your application. We cannot consider incomplete or late applications.
Pre-employment Checks:We will conduct criminal background checks on final candidates who are not current ODOT employees. All applicants are subject to additional pre-employment check(s) such as driver license, LEDS, and/or education verification as required for the position. Veteran's Points:Eligible veterans who meet the qualifications will be given veterans' preference. To receive preference, veterans must attach appropriate documentation as outlined by the Department of Administrative Services at the following website: Veterans Resources. Please title your DD214 like this, "[Your Last Name] DD214" and your disability letter "[Your Last Name] Disability Letter." Veterans may also call the Oregon Department of Veterans' Affairs at 1-800-692-9666.Note: DD214 member 1 copies do not contain character of service and cannot be used to verify veterans' preference eligibility. Please attach DD214 member 2 or 4. Questions and Application Support:* For questions about the job announcement, call 503-373-1639.
* For technical help with your login or online application issues, call 1-855-524-5627 from 6:30a to 5:30p PT M-F by leaving a voicemail. It may take up to 24 hrs to receive a response. If you do not receive a response after 24 hours, you can email Technical Support at [email protected]
We encourage you to print and/or save a PDF copy of your application. Oregon Dept. of TransportationHuman Resources/Recruitment, MS12355 Capitol St NESalem OR 97301-3871Fax 503-986-3895 ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
To apply for this position, please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar: