Mueller Company (Mueller Co.), the nation's leading manufacturer of flow control devices for the water and gas distribution industries, has an opening for a Sr. Design Engineer, based in our Research Facility located in Chattanooga Tennessee.
We are seeking an experienced Engineer with a broad range of experience to lead product development and execution of projects. Mueller will provide a challenging opportunity to apply experience, skill, and creativity to design, prototype, and test valves, controls, and monitoring systems plus the tools and testing equipment required to manufacture them. The ideal candidate will have the opportunity to utilize existing skills and build new ones as our company explores technologies for new products and manufacturing processes.
Candidate will be involved in start to finish research, development, and execution (supply chain, tooling development, critical to quality measures, validation testing, etc.) of new products using robust design practices and tools. The best candidate will be able to forge relationships with marketing, manufacturing, and other R&D engineers that allow the shortest possible time-to-market for innovative and reliable products that exceed our customers expectations.Primary Accountabilities:
- Selecting the best combination of materials for specific purposes.
- Testing materials to assess how resistant they are to heat, corrosion or chemical attack;
- Research of current materials and process developments with potential relevance to our industry.
- Assessing materials for specific qualities (such as electrical conductivity, durability, renewability).
- Providing technical advice and documentation to aid sales and customers.
- Considering the implications for waste and other environmental pollution issues of any product or process.
- Advising on the adaptability of a plant to new processes and materials.
- Working to solve problems arising during the manufacturing process or with the finished product, such as those caused by daily wear and tear or a change of environment.
- Ensuring quality control throughout the construction and production process.
- Helping to ensure that products comply with national and international legal and quality standards.
- Liaising with colleagues in R&D, manufacturing, technical and scientific support (outside of the company), purchasing and marketing.
- Supervising the work of lab technicians and other staff.
- Design of Metal Castings, Molded Parts, and machined parts for industrial products.
- Testing materials for performance and application compatibility
- Evaluating industry standards to ensure that new and existing products are in compliance
- Research of applicable technologies for product design and manufacturing
- Experience with Design for Manufacturing
- Provide technical documentation for manufacturing of new products:
- CAD models
- Detailed drawings with applicable Geometric Tolerances
- Test reports
- Evaluate prototypes and production components and products to ensure compliance to the design intent
- Evaluate production processes for improvement or modification to accommodate new designs or improve productivity
- Problem solving in product development and production
- Liaising with colleagues in R&D, manufacturing, and outside resources to ensure projects meet all applicable goals
- Write test procedures and reports
- Supervise subordinate teammates, i. e. designers and lab technicians, to ensure quality work.
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering from an ABET-accredited engineering program required.
- Master s or additional postgraduate degree in engineering, materials, or process related discipline desired.
- Professional Engineer (PE) desired.
- Six Sigma Green Belt certification is desired.
- Passing score on the Fundamentals of Engineering exam desired.
- PMP Certification desired
- 5 to 8 years of materials and process design experience in composites, elastomers, coatings or applicable similar industrial polymeric materials preferred.
- Prior experience with manufacturing design, experiment design. In addition, familiarity with Design of Experiments (i. e. Taguchi Methods for product optimization and development).
- Experience with the following; Statistics, Office tools including Excel or other data preparation and presentation software. In addition, working knowledge of DFMEA, PFMEA, and other DMAIC Tools.
Relocation assistance may be offered for this position for the right candidate. Local candidates will be given priority. Individuals interested in this position should apply for this position through the website in which you are viewing this opportunity or apply directly at the Mueller Water Products career portal. (https://www. muellercompany. com/careers) All resumes will be collected through the Mueller Water Products Silk Road (Open Hire) online recruiting platform. Resumes mailed, faxed, or emailed will not be reviewed. Mueller Company will contact desired applicants to proceed in the hiring process. Please do not contact Mueller regarding the status of your application.
Mueller Company offers an excellent salary and benefits package. Current benefit offerings include: medical and dental insurance, 401K plan with company match, Employee Stock Purchase Plan program, short-term and long-term disability benefits, vacation, tuition reimbursement program, company-provided life insurance, supplemental insurance at group rates, and much more.
Mueller Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer.