Location(s): CO - Denver
Are you an engineer who wants a challenging, rewarding career at a Fortune 500 company that’s committed to excellence, safety and environmental stewardship? Do you want to be part of shaping our energy future? An engineering position at Xcel Energy could be a great match for you.
Xcel Energy has a Gas Pipeline Transmission Engineering opportunity available in Denver, CO! This position is responsible for managing gas transmission pipeline projects from initial estimating thru construction, testing, tie-in and capturing as-built records to ensure compliance with Xcel Energy Pipeline Standards and PHMSA regulatory requirements including design to Maximum Allowable Operating Pressure (MAOP) per 49 CFR 192. Position requires dual project engineer/project manager capability leading cross-functional teams thru cost estimating, securing right-of-way permitting and pipeline routing, scheduling milestone check points throughout and providing hands-on in the field supervision to engineering, inspection and construction contractors to build, relocate and remediate pipeline assets throughout the Xcel Energy gas system. Coordinate with Xcel Energy HP Operations, Integrity Management and Gas Engineering to assess system risk, adopt and enforce applicable specifications and implement corrective action consisting of pressure testing, pipeline replacement, repair and new installation. Coordinate with Mapping, Engineering Support Services and engineering consulting firms to ensure project records are traceable, verifiable and complete so that as-built data is promptly uploaded into Xcel Energy's system of record upon in-service. Preference will be given to applicants with 5 or more years of experience with Gas or Liquid Pipeline Engineering. Must communicate and interface well with a broad cross-section of both internal Xcel departments and external contractors to facilitate successful project implementation. Ability to clearly document in written procedures gas system isolation and testing is required. Experience with GE Smallworld or similar GIS system is desired.
HP Gas Engineering provides three key functions for Xcel's Gas Utility - 1) HP Operations district support for ongoing safe and reliable system operation, in-service procedure development & emergency response. 2) Project mgmt./engineering of system reinforcement for capital investment including MAOP compliance, 3rd party municipal encroachments, TIMP shorted casings and 3) Compliance tasks supporting DOT Transmission report data review, annual class location studies, PUC audit support and continuous improvement of Gas Engineering processes. Responsible for ensuring new high pressure pipeline construction is design and tested to Xcel Gas Standards and Federal Code 49 CFR 192 and records meet traceable, verifiable and complete requirements.
- Provide field engineering support to High Pressure Gas Operations for safe ongoing system operation and emergency response.
- Manage gas pipeline projects including reinforcements, re-routes, main extensions and customer requests from concept thru engineering, permitting, material procurement, construction, testing and in-servicing.
- Understand, adhere to and enforce Xcel Energy Gas Standards for safe design and operation of gas pipeline assets in conjunction with industry codes 49 CFR 192, ASME B31.8 and API 1104.
- Coordinate with internal departments to complete annual class location studies and subsequent impact to pipeline maximum allowable operating pressure at a segment, line loop and system level.
- Ensure all project work captures as-built records that are traceable, verifiable and complete to validate conformance to PHMSA and CO PUC requirements that are subject to audit review.
- Investigate and respond to customer encroachment requests in regards to adherence to Gas Standards and reaching mutually beneficial resolution of asset protection and customer development.
- Assisting with Projects/Programs as Required to Support System Performance and Reliability improvements
- Leads activities such as budgeting, estimating, forecasting, accounting, work order management, in support of engineering projects.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from ABET accredited curriculum (or recognized equivalency)
- 5+ years relevant engineering experience
- EIT/FE (Engineer in Training/Fundamentals of Engineering) required
- Ability to demonstrate the unique technical skills and core competencies for this engineering level established & documented by the organization.
- PE (Professional Engineer) registration may be required depending on business need
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you’re ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Posting Notes: CO - Denver || CO - Denver || United States (US) || Operations || 64380:Gas Engineering HP CO || Full-Time || Non-Bargaining ||
Requisition Number: 18213
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at [email protected]