Location(s): CO - Denver; MN - Minneapolis
Are you looking for an exciting job where you can put your skills, talents and education to work at a company you can feel proud to be a part of? Do you want a workplace that will challenge you and offer you opportunities to learn and grow? A professional position at Xcel Energy could be just what you’re looking for.
Senior Network Engineer who is responsible for overseeing network projects, and design of enterprise-wide networks, and end-to-end configuration of enterprise class network, and security appliances. Under general direction establishes networking standards, policy, and designs within current or new network appliance configurations. Oversee deployment of existing or new network & security frameworks. The Network Engineer maximizes network performance by collaborating with cross-functions of architecture for systems, applications, networks, and security optimizations. Individual will provide future technology roadmap to guide network evolution within Xcel Energy.
- Manage demand for most critical and complex applications or areas of infrastructure including prioritization, release management, and requirements definition. This includes ensuring the proper alignment of business requirements related to new infrastructure or new information systems solutions and enhancements to existing systems or infrastructure for significant business critical applications. Analyze user's business needs and make analytical decisions about how applications should function. Determine, develop, and approve functional specifications, identify or document requirements, manage scope, and coordinate for justifiable solutions. Develop forecasts and budgets for assigned application or infrastructure areas.
- Responsible for strategic management of key customer relationships to ensure processes are integrated to support customer expectations. Communicate effectively with senior management, key leadership, business peers, IT peers and vendors to solve business/technical problems and provide technical solutions.. Work directly with Business Systems management on escalated customer concerns to ensure satisfactory resolution.
- Execute against the I/T Strategic Plan for assigned business area or technical area of responsibility. Management of activities relative to the business area I/T Plan to include application portfolio management, data security, and determination of the business requirements for disaster recovery, availability and fail-over capability of systems. Stay abreast of operational performance and impact to business. Serve as key respondent and facilitator for internal and external application audits.
- Develop information systems or infrastructure strategies and solutions and conduct planning for the assigned business area or technical areas of expertise. Lead cross-functional teams to assure that the solutions and plans meet changing business area, customer, and competitive requirements. Provide consulting expertise to all customers to ensure plans are integrated into overall business area strategic and operational plans.
- Develop and leverage key relationships with I/T Operational areas and other Customer Operations teams to ensure solutions are appropriately prioritized within the overall scope of activities.
- Provide expert level knowledge and expertise on business processes for assigned business area or areas of technical expertise. Provide internal consulting expertise to key business area customers for infrastructure support, applicable business functions and the information systems that support those functions
- Respond to organizational and regulatory initiatives and directives. Must understand and implement necessary procedures or infrastructure required to facilitate completion of operational changes.
- Stay abreast of industry and technology trends to advise leadership on when to innovate and when to use traditional approaches. Apply technology and innovation to business solutions.
- Bachelor’s degree in MIS, Computer Science, Eng. or related or equivalent experience required. M.S. desired.
- Minimum 10 years application/IT infrastructure support experience, or 12 years Utility experience (in lieu of IT background), or any combination demonstrating equivalency.
- Demonstrated effectiveness within a Solutions Consulting role combined with a proven track record of defining business solutions using the appropriate technology.
- Demonstrated ability to communication effectively with Sr. mgmt. and key leaders both within Business Systems and business areas.
- Demonstrated advanced business acumen in the business area of support. In-depth knowledge of multiple core applications (e.g., HRIS, Accounting, Work Management, Mapping and Design, etc.) or equiv.
- Superior communication skills and ability to articulate thoughts and ideas to others (verbal and written) including translating business requirements into technical terms and/or translating technical language into business terminology.
- Demonstrated ability to recommend innovative technology solutions to support complex business requirements.
- Superior relationship mgmt., facilitation, project mgmt. and problem solving skills.
- Strong ability to coach and mentor less experienced team members.
- Strong knowledge of applicable PC programs and MS-Office tools (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio, Access).
- Ability to develop mgmt. style reporting and presentations (e.g., PowerPoint, Excel).
- Advanced degree may be equiv. to some required work experience.
- Ten years’ of experience in Routing, cisco IOS, Gaia Network Optimization, Remote Access, Network Security (NAC, ADC, Firewalls), LAN, Multi-Vendor MPLS, Proxy management, WLAN, or Data Center LAN.
- Ten years’ of experience in developing Network Architecture, Performance & Capacity Management, Security Controls (IDS/IPS)
- Ten years of experience in stateful packet inspection (SPI), configuration hardening, UTM’s, or inline security gateways.
- Five years’ of experience within network performance management tools such as LAN, WAN, WLAN, MPLS, Transactional & Latency metric monitoring, ITAM, Compliance monitoring
- Ten years of experience in designing or implementing high availability solutions (dynamic load distribution, redundant connections, dynamic routing protocols)
- Broad in-depth knowledge, and experience with all aspects of Network Appliances including HW, SW, and configuration concepts
- Three years’ experience within regulatory audits such as FERC, NERC, HIPAA, ISO, or SOX.
- Has extensive knowledge of future technology trends
- Strong written and oral communications skills.
For Job Description, please contact:
Your HR Business Consultant
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you’re ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Posting Notes: MN - Minneapolis || CO - Denver; MN - Minneapolis || United States (US) || Customer And Innovation || 56115:Network Engineering Design || Full-Time || Non-Bargaining ||
Requisition Number: 17083
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at [email protected]