Location(s): MN - Minneapolis
Are you an engineer who wants a challenging, rewarding career at a Fortune 500 company that’s committed to excellence, safety and environmental stewardship? Do you want to be part of shaping our energy future? An engineering position at Xcel Energy could be a great match for you.
The ideal candidate will have experience in the disassembly, inspection and repair of large steam turbines. Capability of technical direction and labor supervision is required when OEM is not present. Knowledge of repair practices and NDE methods is essential. Typically the individual will have 9+ years of experience for the Principal Engineer Position and 5+ years for the Senior Engineer Position. Experience in the disassembly, inspection and repair of industrial combustion turbines is a plus. This position will be primarily supporting plants within the Minneapolis Metro area with occasional travel to areas outside the metro area within our service territory.
Applies extensive technical expertise, and has full knowledge of other related disciplines. Performs as a staff advisor and consultant in a technical specialty, a type of facility or equipment, or a program function. Carries out complex or innovative assignments requiring the development of new or improved techniques and procedures. Work is expected to result in the development of new/improved techniques and procedures or new/refined equipment, materials, processes, products, and/or scientific methods. Represents the organization as the prime technical contact on contracts and projects and interacts with senior external personnel on significant technical matters often requiring coordination between organizations. Work is performed without appreciable direction and considerable latitude is exercised in determining technical objectives of assignment. Guidance relates largely to overall objectives, critical issues, new concepts and policy matters. Completed work is reviewed from a relatively long- term perspective, for desired results. May assign tasks to and direct engineers, technicians, craft personnel and administrative staff, including coordination and review of work assignments. Responsible for (and may lead) multiple projects of moderate to large size or portions of major projects. This position will be filled at our Chestnut Service Center in Minneapolis, MN and can be filled at either the Senior Engineer or Principal Engineer level. Please see below for requirements for both levels. Preference will be given to Mechanical Engineers with experience in Primavera P6.
Senior Engineer Essential Responsibilities
- Applies extensive technical expertise and has an understanding of the basic principals of other related disciplines. Fully demonstrates the unique technical skills and core competencies for this engineering level by applying technical standards, principles, theories, concepts, and techniques to lead projects of moderate to large size, scope and complexity.
- Largely self-directed work is expected to result in the development of new or improved techniques, procedures and standards. Supports the development of technical documentation (including but not limited to designs, testing, calculations, reports, standards, etc.)
- Without appreciable direction exercises considerable latitude in determining ongoing technical support for project activities within areas such as Operations, Maintenance, Testing/diagnostics and Regulatory. Provides field engineering oversight and direction for activities such as support , testing, installation, inspections, commissioning etc.
- Coordinates/leads multiple projects or portions of projects (including phases such as research, design, equipment selection, procurement, installation and commissioning). May lead more critical projects with oversight of a higher level engineer or supervisor.
- Represents the organization as the prime technical contact in the bid/evaluation processes including preparation of bid documents, completion of technical evaluations for proposals and providing recommendations for selection. Interacts with senior external personnel on significant technical matters often requiring coordination with internal and external organizations.
- Effectively and with precision resolves difficult technical/business matters both inter-organizationally and with outside customer/vendors with all formats of communication.
- May assign tasks to and/or direct engineers, technicians, craft personnel and other support staff including coordination and review of work assignments. Provides guidance and mentoring to less experienced engineers. Responsible for continuous self development of technical skills and competencies.
- Leads activities such as budgeting, estimating, forecasting, accounting, work order management, in support of engineering projects.
Senior Engineer Minimum Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from ABET accredited curriculum (or recognized equivalency)
- 5+ years relevant engineering experience
- EIT/FE (Engineer in Training/Fundamentals of Engineering) required
- Ability to demonstrate the unique technical skills and core competencies for this engineering level established & documented by the organization.
Senior Engineer Preferred Requirements
- PE (Professional Engineer) registration may be required depending on business need
Principal Engineer Minimum Requirements
•Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from ABET accredited curriculum (or recognized equivalency)
•9+ years relevant engineering experience
•PE (Professional Engineer) registration required
•Ability to demonstrate the unique technical skills and core competencies for this engineering level established & documented by the organization.
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you’re ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Posting Notes: MN - Minneapolis || MN - Minneapolis || United States (US) || Operations || 31240:Technical Resources & Compl || Full-Time || Non-Bargaining ||
Requisition Number: 14801
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at [email protected]