Location(s): MN - Minneapolis
Are you looking for an exciting job where you can put your skills, talents and education to work at a company you can feel proud to be a part of? Do you want a workplace that will challenge you and offer you opportunities to learn and grow? A professional position at Xcel Energy could be just what you’re looking for.
Responsible for creating/maintaining standards and procedures to support the design of various network systems. Under general direction establishes networking standards and procedures for common network architectures and activities, and designs standard system configurations. Manage the lifecycle of standards including retiring or replacing standards as appropriate. Work independently and with Network Architects to maintain awareness of relevant new or changed standards within standards bodies (IEEE, 3GPP, IETF, etc.) Maximizes network performance by troubleshooting network problems, major outages, and collaborating with architects on systems optimization.
- Network Standards Design – Work autonomously and with Network and Enterprise Architects to identify network design patterns that would benefit from explicit standardization. Create/document network standards that outline key architectural or technical specifics that create value and scale via standardization Evaluate, create and recommend new standards to meet future network requirements. Assist with development of standards-based technical designs for critical components and newly approved network technologies. Provide enterprise architects and network staff with standards guidance as needed.
- Network Optimization – Identify new or emerging network technologies that will provide significant improvements in network performance or cost. Using resource utilization data propose changes to increase network efficiency and capacity.
- Operational Support – Provide technical review and approval of certain complex changes. Provide Level 4 technical support as needed to resolve complex critical production incidents.
- Project Support – Provide input to project planning process by providing standards expertise; participate in debating alternatives. Provide standards oversight and quality assurance for major technology deployments.
- Professional Development - Increase job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, maintaining personal networks, and participating in professional organizations such as EPRI.
- Bachelor's degree in information technology or related field or equivalent experience.
- At least eight years of experience in system/network design and operations.
- Broad in-depth knowledge and experience with all phases of operating systems, HW, SW, and concepts.
- Has extensive knowledge of future technology trends within area of expertise.
- Strong written and oral communications skills.
- Bachelor's degree in MIS, computer science or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- At least ten years of experience with enterprise infrastructure technology design, deployment and support.
- At least five years of technology management experience including management of external service providers.
- Excellent communication and leadership skills. Demonstrated knowledge of current industry trends in at least two of the following areas: networking (LAN, WAN and data center), enterprise voice, contact center, application delivery controllers, firewalls, SDN, and network automation.
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you’re ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Posting Notes: MN - Minneapolis || MN - Minneapolis || United States (US) || Customer And Innovation || 56112:Network Strategy Planning || Full-Time || Non-Bargaining ||
Requisition Number: 16733
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at [email protected]