Location(s): MN - Welch
Do you have the attention to detail and commitment to safety needed for a successful and rewarding career in the field of nuclear power? We’re looking for people who are looking to grow their career with a company that maintains one of the safest nuclear fleets in the nation. If that describes you, we’d like you on our team.
We are hiring a Training-Simulator Senior Engineer or Above to be based out of the Prairie Island Nuclear Generating Plant. Employees in the Prairie Island Training-Simulator department will be given first consideration.
This position performs or oversees Design, Systems, Program, Plant Component or Nuclear engineering activities in support of the safe, reliable and efficient operations of the nuclear generation power plants at a Plant and Fleet to solve complex engineering issue. Primary responsibilities include supporting supporting simulator hardware and technology development necessary to configure the Plant Operations Simulator with complex plant modifications or alternatives, calculations, engineering evaluations, equipment operability determinations, maintenance of design basis documents and resolution of complex Corrective Action Issues. Additional responsibilities include overseeing other engineers in the review of existing / new design (or program, plant, procedure or contract)documents, in support of continued plant operation, assessment of adverse conditions, engineering analyses, and project management skills.
• Lead or oversee and develop complex simulator modifications that support plant modifications or plant program documents. Perform, lead or oversee performance of highly technical or complex systems. Lead troubleshooting of nuclear power plant simulator systems, calculations, engineering evaluations, operability determinations, maintenance of design basis documents, resolution of complex Corrective Action issues, support of continued plant operation, assessment of adverse conditions and project management. May monitor and evaluate preventative maintenance and improve equipment reliability by identifying performance issues and opportunities for improvement. Provide technical leadership for other engineers and designers and act as the technical expert for quality improvement initiatives. The individual is has valuable expertise that is needed by the Company to solve complex engineering issues and complex or novel assignments requiring the development of new or improved techniques and procedures.
• Develop schedules, utilize work management tools, performs or oversee assignments for engineering related activities at the most senior level subject matter expert to support site and fleet goals. Perform other duties and activities as assigned.
• Attend Department and plant meetings and represents the Company at industry events or activities. Provide technical guidance in subject area to nuclear power industry and is recognized by other industry leaders as a subject matter expert in his or her area.
• Attend training and complete other duties and/or projects as assigned by department leadership.
• Bachelor’s degree in engineering or a related technical field from an ABET accredited college or university.
• 8 or more years engineering experience with high performance ratings plus technically mature industry leader (see requirements in skill proficiency section to determine technical maturity) in at least one engineering discipline area in a nuclear generating plants accompanied by demonstrated industry expertise in at least one engineering discipline area is required; (note: equivalent years of engineering experience in electrical power plant experience industrial, naval or Outreach Engineering Management (OEM) may be considered in lieu of up to one half of nuclear generation experience.)
• May be required to assume emergency response duties and live within 30 or 60 minutes from the nuclear generation station. Required to maintain nuclear “fitness for duty” during off hours if on call or designated emergency response duty
• Ability to obtain and maintain qualifications for unescorted access to Xcel Energy’s nuclear power plants is an essential requirement of the position.
• Professional Engineer (PE) license.
• SRO License or certification.
• Advance degree (in engineering or other related technical field).
A condition of employment will be successfully obtaining and maintaining General Security Clearance and a Nuclear Security Clearance for unescorted access to Xcel Energy nuclear plants including successful completion of nuclear General Access Training (GAT) and the nuclear security screening process (typically consists of an alcohol/drug screen, a criminal history check, a psychological assessment, initial credit and background investigation and periodic credit & criminal history checks).
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you’re ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Posting Notes: MN - Welch || MN - Welch || United States (US) || Nuclear Rollup || 45652:FT PI Training-Simulator || Full-Time || Bargaining ||
Requisition Number: 17351
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at [email protected]