Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
Reporting to a Principal Structural Engineer of the Engineering Design Division, the Senior Engineer will be responsible for professional design services for Port Authority Interstate Bridge facilities, such as the George Washington Bridge and Outerbridge Crossing; or for bridges at our Airport and Port Commerce facilities. The Senior Engineer will develop project scope of work and structural design criteria, lead structural design projects, conduct field inspections, evaluate field conditions and structural deficiencies, estimate remaining useful design life of structures, prepare engineering reports, develop creative design solutions, prepare contract drawings, specifications and cost estimates for new facilities and for the repair of existing structures, review consultant and contractor submittals and ensure that consultant designs conform to the scope of work, codes and Port Authority Standards. The Senior Engineer will also coordinate projects with other disciplines, minimize disruption of facility operations through staging and construction sequencing, provide engineering support during construction and assist the Principal Engineer with the overall professional development and motivation of staff members.
* Bachelors Degree in Civil Engineering from an ABET four-year accredited engineering college or university.
* Professional Engineer license in the State of NY or the State of NJ.
* Minimum of 7 years of professional structural design experience, including supervisory experience on both small scale and major design projects (projects with $5 million or more construction contract value.)
* Design experience in the field of structural engineering, with a high concentration in all types of short and long span bridge structures, for new bridges and bridge rehabilitation (structural integrity) projects.
* Structural inspection experience.
* Ability to work effectively within a multi-discipline design team.
* Working knowledge of all local codes and ordinances governing the design of bridge structures and their facilities, including but not limited to the AASHTO Specifications for Highway Bridges, NYC Building Code, UBC code and Unified Facilities Criteria.
* Valid drivers license.
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
* Masters Degree in Civil Engineering from an ABET accredited engineering college or university.
* Proven ability to lead, manage and prioritize multiple high profile, multi-discipline engineering assignments.
* Strong conceptualization, problem solving, decision- making and conflict resolution skills from experience in routine and large-scale transportation projects.
* Sound understanding of construction engineering.
* Excellent organizational skills with the ability to work independently and prioritize as required.
* Proficiency in preparing contract drawings.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills.
* Excellent presentation skills, including experience making presentations to staff and outside stakeholders.
* Experience and proficiency in the use of computer software for structural analysis and design.
* Proficiency in the use of software such as Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this position, please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar: