Job Title: Sr. Manufacturing Engineer
Location: Wilsonville, OR
Job Type: Regular
DWFritz Automation, founded in 1973, has experienced rapid growth over the last 5 years and continues to grow! Since its inception, DWFritz has been producing brilliant automation solutions for our clients. Today, the market demand for automation combined with our world-class practices and cutting-edge technology places DWFritz on a trajectory to becoming a leading provider in the field of automation.
One thing that hasn’t changed at DWFritz is our focus on our core values, such as “Collaborate and Share the Credit,” a value that is deeply engrained in how we work together both in our US and China facilities. Our core value “Find a Better Way” promotes innovation and openness to doing things differently. It’s also the reason we have a company supported incubator program and an in-house lab.
Our World Headquarters operates from a modern, state-of-the-art facility located in Wilsonville, Oregon. Our employees enjoy standing desks, a recreation room, a fitness room, and a hearty oatmeal breakfast to start each day. Our spacious lunch room is the venue for weekly All Staff meetings and our frequent “Lunch and Learns.”
DWFritz is a wonderful place to work, with unique opportunities to participate in dynamic teams, a strong sense of culture and values, and a growing company. If you are considering a new opportunity we encourage you to check us out.
Your Operations Team at DWFritz
Operations at DWFritz is a multi-functional team driven to deliver world class performance at an expeditious pace, with an ingrained culture of continuous improvement. This team works side by side with all the other functional team members at DWFritz, to deliver world class, high precision automated tools for a very dynamic and diverse top tier customer base, covering multiple industries. The team members work in a very collaborative environment, and are focused on doing what is needed to meet the customer’s needs on time and budget. The environment thrives on an Integrated Product Team culture, addressing dynamic challenges with tactical execution and strategic planning, always focused on finding opportunities for improving operations, finding a better way, and exceeding our customer’s expectations.
The Senior Manufacturing Engineer specifies and develops operational sequence and manufacturing methods. This position must be able to provide technical support for all manufacturing functions with highly developed leadership qualities and the ability to work efficiently and within budget on manufacturing jobs. The Senior Manufacturing Engineer works with the conception, design and development of precision motion and inspection products. They serve as liaison between the engineering and manufacturing departments on each project. The Manufacturing Engineer develops and implements optimal, cost-effective manufacturing processes and methods in accordance with product specifications and quality standards. This role coordinates manufacturing launch for new or revised products through the development of build plans and design for manufacturing methods. The Senior Manufacturing Engineer also leads improvement initiatives within the organization related to fixturing, tolerancing, and waste reduction.
· Collaborates and creates production and coordination processes.
· Identifies and eliminates waste in production by creating and implementing processes.
· Ensures closed loop process improvement based on metrics and data.
· Identifies, creates, and implements performance tracking metrics.
· Identifies, designs, and implements production fixtures and tooling to reduce error and improve throughput.
· Identifies and implements processes to improve Safety in Production.
· Support production by troubleshooting product problems involving design, materials or processes, and optimizing plant manufacturing processes.
· Determine root cause failures using statistical methods and formal problem solving techniques and recommend changes as appropriate.
· Introduces formal problem solving methods and provides training and roll out.
· Continuously improve product quality, increase efficiency, and reduce production down time.
· Investigate and find resolution of specific processing problems for assigned projects.
· Support multiple individuals and team projects while handling multiple tasks.
· Function as project leader when assigned, and implements project leader standard work.
· Coordinate with external suppliers for installation and services on the production floor.
· Document and communicate manufacturing capabilities, build plans/router sheets, floor plans, project schedules, project status, changes, and other information to managers, engineers, and supervisor.
· Ensure process validation, including final product specification and release testing qualification are determined during the design process.
· Review designs for manufacturability or completeness by contributing to project design and product care teams.
· Apply working knowledge of product design and assembly to the manufacturing process through design transfer and development of the build plan.
· Create processes and procedures to help the company meet budgetary goals as well as performance quotas.
· Design and develop new products and product mock-ups alongside the Engineering team.
· Develops manufacturing processes by studying product requirements; researching, designing, modifying, and testing manufacturing methods and equipment; conferring with equipment vendors.
· Creates processes to provide manufacturing decision-making information by calculating production, labor, and material costs; reviewing production schedules; estimating future requirements.
· Prepares process effectiveness reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
· Creates processes to keep equipment operational by coordinating maintenance and repair services, following manufacturer's instructions and established procedures.
· Completes design and development projects by training and guiding technicians.
· Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
· Creates processes to organize operation start-up and shut-down schedules to ensure minimum loss of production time and profits.
· Liaising with the research and development department to ensure the company is at the forefront of ground-breaking technology.
· Performs research, design and development of manufacturing processes including production flow, assembly methods and production equipment.
· Prepares and maintains detailed layouts of buildings and equipment.
· Creates processes for, using build plans, coordinating the manufacturing launch of new/revised products including establishing goals, training team members and evaluating results.
· Creates processes for Design, development, testing of various tools, machinery and equipment for recommended manufacturing methods, with cost justification.
· Creates processes for performing product/process analysis for cost reduction, quality improvement, and improved efficiency.
· Low volume manufacturing and automation experience preferred.
· Understanding of the design of manufacturing equipment or other machine tools preferred.
· Solid understanding of mechanical systems and manufacturing processes.
· Experience leading Lean manufacturing efforts.
· Able to determine root cause failures using statistical methods.
· Able to identify alternative methods to check and verify solutions.
· Innovative thinker with excellent problem solving skills.
· Demonstrated decision making and effective team skills, able to work independently or collaboratively as needed.
· Strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
· Able to motivate others and create a climate in which others want to do their best.
· Flexible and comfortable with change management concepts.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills; able to present highly technical information to diverse audiences, some without technical knowledge.
· Capable of handling high workloads in a dynamic work environment.
· Commitment to continuous improvement in processes and technical knowledge and uses performance data for improvement in key areas.
· Demonstrated knowledge and practical application of 3D CAD software (e.g. SolidWorks, Inventor).
· Strong computer skills, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, MS Project and Outlook.
· Tolerance and drawing/modelling skills.
· Able to participate in brainstorming sessions and cross-departmental meetings to ensure collaborating and cohesion as the voice of manufacturing.
· Dealing with Complexity, Informing Others, Leadership, Supervision, Hardware Specifications, Manufacturing Methods and Procedures, Manufacturing Quality, Product Development, Presenting Technical Information, CAD, CAD/CAM Circuit Design.
· Demonstrated leadership/management skills.
Your Education and Experience
· Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering or equivalent discipline required.
· Seven or more years working experience as a Manufacturing Engineer required.
· Exposure to multiple engineering disciplines preferred.
· Prototype/concept build experience.