Location(s): MN - Inver Grove Heights; MN - Shakopee; SD - Sioux Falls
Are you an engineer who wants a challenging, rewarding career at a Fortune 500 company that’s committed to excellence, safety and environmental stewardship? Do you want to be part of shaping our energy future? An engineering position at Xcel Energy could be a great match for you.
This position can be filled at either a Staff or Senior level Electrical Engineer. Please see below for specific requirements for each level. The successful candidate should be a self-starter and can be based out of the Blue Lake Plant in Shakopee, MN; Inver Hills Generation Plant in Inver Grove Heights, MN; or the Angus Anson Plant in Sioux Falls, SD. Please note, this position will require traveling within the designated coverage area up to 25% of the time. Preference will be given to candidates with experience in controls, SAP, combustion turbines, and project management.
Under general direction, demonstrates complete understanding & wide application of engineering technical principle, theories, & concepts in the field. Independently determines & develops approaches to solutions. Receives technical guidance on complex problems; completed work reviewed for adequacy in meeting objectives. May lead small-medium non-critical projects or critical projects under direction of higher level engineer/supervisor. May provide work direction to other professionals &/or staff. Represents the organization in providing solutions to difficult technical issues associated with specific projects. Frequent inter-organizational & outside customer contact. Demonstrates a broad knowledge & proficiency of precedents in the specialty area, a good knowledge of related specialties, & general knowledge of other related disciplines.
- Uses & applies technical standards, principles, theories, concepts, & techniques to perform activities/assignments that may include a variety of complex features such as conflicting design requirements, unsuitability of conventional materials or methods & difficult coordination requirements.
- Supports the development of technical documentation (including but not limited to designs, testing, calculations, reports, standards, etc.) Utilizes & may assist with the development of procedures requiring a broad knowledge & proficiency in a specialty area & has a general knowledge of related disciplines.
- Works under the general direction of a higher level engineer or supervisor for routine engineering projects. Provide ongoing technical support for project activities within areas such as Operations, Maintenance, testing/diagnostics & Regulatory. May provide field engineering oversight &/or direction for activities such as commissioning, testing, inspections, etc.
- May lead small-medium, non-critical projects. Coordinate/leads critical projects or portions of projects (including phases such as research, design, equipment selection, procurement support, installation & commissioning), under the direction of a higher level engineer or supervisor. Work reviewed upon completion for adequacy in meeting objectives.
- Under the direction of a higher level engineer/supervisor supports bid/evaluation processes including preparation of bid documents, completion of technical evaluations for proposals; provide recommendations for selection, etc. Partners & communicates with areas such as Supply Chain & Legal following appropriate processes.
- Frequently exchanges information in all formats, on matters having a wide range of importance & complexity both inter-organizationally & with outside customers.
- May assign tasks & coordinate work of interns, drafters, technicians, craft personnel and/or others. Provide guidance & mentoring to less experienced engineers. Responsible for continuous self-development of technical skills & competencies.
- Performs activities such as budgeting, estimating, forecasting, accounting, work order management, in support of engineering projects.
Staff Engineer Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from ABET accredited curriculum (or recognized equivalency).
- 2+ years relevant engineering experience.
- Demonstrated broad knowledge & proficiency in specialty area, knowledge of related specialties, & general knowledge of other related disciplines.
- Ability to demonstrate the unique technical skills & core competencies for this engineering level established and documented by the organization.
Staff Engineer Preferred Qualifications
- EIT/FE (Engineer in Training/Fundamentals of Engineering) strongly preferred
Senior Engineer Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from ABET accredited curriculum (or recognized equivalency)
- 5+ years relevant engineering experience
- EIT/FE (Engineer in Training/Fundamentals of Engineering) required
- Ability to demonstrate the unique technical skills and core competencies for this engineering level established & documented by the organization.
Senior Engineer Preferred Qualifications
- PE (Professional Engineer) registration may be required depending on business need
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you’re ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Posting Notes: MN - Shakopee || MN - Inver Grove Heights; MN - Shakopee; SD - Sioux Falls || United States (US) || Operations || 04660:Blue Lake Gas Turbne || Full-Time || Non-Bargaining ||
Requisition Number: 15456
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at [email protected]