Location(s): MN - Minneapolis
Do you want to put your skills and experience to good use supporting one of the fastest-growing parts of the energy business? Are you interested in being a key part of the utility industry’s new, competitive landscape? If you’re interested in working for a trustworthy company that’s committed to treating you with respect, training you well and ensuring your safety, consider a position on Xcel Energy’s transmission team.
Accountable for attainment of operating company NERC compliance goals and objectives related to system protection. Assists in the development and execution of the strategic plan while directing system protection engineering activities for high voltage distribution and transmission substations. Accountable for innovative designs, resident technical matter expertise, and real-time technical support services to system protection technicians and operations teams for high voltage distribution and transmission substations. Accountable for the development and training of department engineers. The position will be responsible for the management of the day-to-day operations of the team, including review of engineering solutions, job assignments, and coordinating with other departments. It is anticipated that the person filling the position will spend approximately 25% of his/her time performing the duties of a Principal Engineer within the department.
- Accountable for the adherence and execution of operating company regulatory compliance related to system protection engineering including all applicable NERC and regional reliability coordinator standards. Provides testimony as an industry expert in regulatory audits. Interfaces and communicates with regional transmission protection organizations to ensure adequate coordination.
- Accountable for operating company system protection engineering activities related to: system protection philosophy & standards, protection device settings, post event analysis, power system modeling and technical support to system protection technician and operations departments. Manages highly skilled and technical group of protection engineers.
- Perform duties of either a "Principal Engineer" within the department including system protection settings, post event analysis, system modeling and technical support to system protection technician and operation departments.
- Responsible for effective, efficient and competitive utilization of resources, with emphasis on safety, timeliness, cost-containment, system reliability, customer satisfaction, optimal asset utilization and compliance with regulations.
- Develops leadership, selects and retains a multi-functional, diversified, well-trained, motivated and empowered workforce. Models innovative approaches. Promotes employee involvement in continuous learning, career planning and enhancing job/industry knowledge and skills. Promotes engineers being professionally registered.
- Communicates with and establishes effective working relationships with regional entities and operating company organizations outside normal span of control to ensure regulatory compliance, responsiveness and resource allocation.
- Represents the company regionally through participation in industry and professional forums in order to stay abreast of emerging industry changes, issues and technologies.
- BS in Electrical Engineering.
- Minimum of 10 years relevant experience in power system protection engineering.
- Leadership experience required.
- Demonstrated specific experience in the area of high voltage protection engineering, including experience with protection design, post event analysis, power system modeling and applicable standards preferred. Professional Engineering registration required.
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you’re ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Posting Notes: MN - Minneapolis || MN - Minneapolis || United States (US) || Operations || 41590:System Protection Engr XS || Full-Time || Non-Bargaining ||
Requisition Number: 15483
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at [email protected]