Location(s): WI - Eau Claire
Are you fit and ready to work hard at a challenging but rewarding job that doesn’t require you to sit behind a desk all day? Do you want to build a long-term career in a stable industry at a company that’s committed to treating you with respect, training you well and ensuring your safety? A field or skilled labor job at Xcel Energy could be the opportunity you’re looking for.
***NOTE: This position requires an assessment prior to interview consideration. We ask you to please carefully read the instructions below
We anticipate the need for one or more Troubleman Metro at our Eau Claire Service Center in Eau Claire, Wisconsin.
In this position you will perform duties of the Troubleman classification which will include but are not limited to:
- Work alone while on a rotating shift schedule and be the first responder to emergencies and outages on the electrical distribution system and natural gas emergency calls.
- Responding to customer calls related to the electric distribution system such as low voltage, low wires, flickering lights, tree conditions and underground facility dig-ins.
- Perform substation and field switching either self-directed or with direction from the System Control center.
- Assist electric construction crews in daily work activities and in the restoration of service during emergency conditions.
- Assist gas construction crews during emergency conditions.
- Perform emergency locates on underground facilities.
- Other maintenance and construction activities as directed by supervision.
The person filling this position must be self-motivated, communicate and work well with others and possess a positive attitude with a high commitment to work safely and productively. The Troubleman is most often the first point of contact for Xcel Energy customers and as such must work diligently to provide quality customer service and a high degree of customer satisfaction.
This position must comply with the current residency policy in effect at the time of hire. Relocation of the employee's household to the immediate area of the reporting headquarters is required and will be the responsibility of the employee. Must live within 20 miles of the reporting headquarters.
- High School graduate or equivalent.
- Technical School Lineman degree or equivalent is required.
- Must presently be qualified to be a Journeyman Lineman. Documentation of completion of a Journeyman Lineman program is required.
- Experience with digger derricks, bucket trucks and groundwork with utility crews is required.
- Must be able to work at heights up to and above 100 feet.
- Must be able to communicate effectively; have good teamwork skills and able to understand, comprehend, and follow directions in the workplace.
- Must have a quality work ethic and be committed to optimum customer service.
- Requires participation in after-hours emergency call-outs.
- A high awareness of safety and compliance with company safety rules is required at all times.
- Rotating shift work will be required with this position.
- Will be required to work with an MDT (Mobile Data Terminal) and complete all necessary paperwork in a timely and concise manner.
- Must be able to complete and pass OQ (Operator Qualification) training related to this position to perform first responder duties on the natural gas system.
- Must meet driver qualification requirements as specified in FMCSR Parts 382 and 391 including the possession of a valid Commercial Drivers License Class A.
- This position will be subject to Xcel Energy and Department of Transportation Drug and Alcohol testing.
This job will require the ability to work in an efficient manner while performing the essential responsibilities of the position which may include:
A. Lifting and maneuvering up to 50 lbs.
B. Being able to work at heights up to and above 100 feet.
C. Being able to climb wood poles up to and above 100 feet tall.
D. Using shovels, sledge hammers and jack hammers and other similar labor intensive tools.
E. Working in confined areas, which include bending and stooping
Steps in Xcel Energy’s hiring process
- All qualified candidates will be sent an online assessment via e-mail. Applicants must successfully pass in order to be further considered.
- Candidates who successfully pass the assessment will be contacted to come in for an information session and interview.
- After attending our information session/interview, our Team Leaders will collaborate to decide which candidates are best qualified and offers will be made.
- Candidates who accept the employment offer will be required to pass Xcel Energy’s background check and drug test. This process can take up to two weeks before clearance is issued.
- After successful passing of the background check and drug test, candidates are ready to start the training class.
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you’re ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Posting Notes: WI - Eau Claire || WI - Eau Claire || United States (US) || Utilities Group || 715EC:Elec Const EC/ME WI || Full-Time || Bargaining ||
Requisition Number: 14786
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at [email protected]