We are looking for the right people people who want to innovate, achieve, grow and lead. We attract and retain the best talent by investing in our employees and empowering them to develop themselves and their careers. Experience the challenges, rewards and opportunity of working for one of the worlds largest providers of products and services to the global energy industry.
This opening is for a senior level position in the Electrical Research and Development department of Sperry Drilling which is a Halliburton Product Service Line. Sperry has a complete line of downhole tools for measurement and logging while drilling (M/LWD) that are designed to withstand the most extreme drilling environments while still making laboratory grade measurements.
The candidate will be responsible for new product development of power electronics applications from concept to commercialization. At this level the candidate may work on multiple projects including sustaining activities for existing products. The candidate will generate a road map of detailed activities from a high level specification. The candidate must be able to work independently and in a team environment, evaluate and execute tasks in a timely manner to predict and meet project deadlines.
The candidate will be responsible for developing systems that meet written specifications and requirements for functionality and performance. The candidate may also be responsible for monitoring and communicating with outside entities that are providing engineering support or performing consulting activities.
Additional responsibilities include periodic reporting of planned and completed development activities, providing estimated completion dates, and prompt reporting of issues. This includes communication with different groups including project management, immediate supervisor, mechanical and physics groups and other team members, etc. The candidate may also be required to train or mentor junior staff.
- Under general supervision, leads and executes programs as required, by establishing project development plans and approving design documents that follow Health, Safety, and Environment processes.
- Provides engineering guidance and uses advanced engineering techniques and proposes new technologies to address unique system needs.
- Collaborates with other engineering disciplines about standards and techniques for calculations.
- Updates processes, procedures, and calculation tools for general use.
- Applies industry standards and regulations in design, testing and evaluation.
- Delivers innovative Intellectual Property recommendations for Halliburton and reviews technical papers.
- Provides technical expertise to meet internal and external customer needs and requirements.
- Promotes and contributes to a cohesive team environment and maintains open lines of communication with all levels of the organization.
- Represents Halliburton in professional societies in area of specialization.
- Knowledge and skills including:
- Design of DC/DC and AC/DC converters for high efficiency in space constrained environments in the range of tens of watts up to ten kilowatts.
- Knowledge of voltage and current mode control methods and advanced understanding of modern power supply topologies
- Design of high efficiency, high power magnetics and filters
- Theoretical and practical knowledge of feedback loop stability and analysis and testing
- Experience with simulation and modeling of power electronics designs as well as hands on testing to validate analytical work
- Keen understanding of power electronic devices (MOSFET, SiC JFET, IGBT, SCR) and their application in power electronics designs
- Understanding of thermal management and PCB layout of power electronics designs
- Ability to simulate systems and sub-systems, oversee prototypes builds, devise test plans, document designs and test results
- Knowledge and experience in motor drive and control, control systems, digital design, signal processing, analog circuit design, embedded systems and design for high temperature harsh environments is a plus.
- Skills acquired through the completion of an undergraduate degree in Electrical Engineering or similar discipline and 6 years of related experience or a Masters Degree with 4 years or a Ph.D with zero - 2 years of experience.
- Completion of a masters or doctoral degree in Electrical Engineering or similar discipline is preferred.
- Candidates having qualifications that exceed the minimum job requirements will receive consideration for higher-level roles given (1) their experience, (2) additional job requirements, and/or (3) business needs. Depending on education, experience, and skill level, a variety of job opportunities might be available, including R&D Advisor Electrical Engineer and Sr. Advisor Electrical Engineer.
3000 N. Sam Houston Parkway E., Houston, Texas, 77032, United States
Requisition Number: 74644
Experience Level: Experienced Hire
Job Family: Engineering/Science/Technology
Product Service Line: Sperry Drilling Svcs
Full Time / Part Time: Full Time
Additional Locations for this position: